1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative careers for maths teachers?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ashi1992, Sep 26, 2015.

1. ashi1992

ashi1992 New commenter

Hi

I graduated from uni in 2013 and I have been working as a maths teacher in a very good sixth form college.

I really enjoy my job and my students are great. But I feel due to the static nature of the college that I may not ever get a chance to progress.

I am still 23 and learning a lot about life and work, but looking at my friends who work in the city and earn a lot of money I often feel I could have done better. The job is satisfying but I feel I can earn more doing something else equally rewarding. Not to mention that I wish to move out and my current salary is preventing me doing so...

I suppose my question is what other things can maths teachers get into?

Ash

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

1) You need to decide what your priorities are. From the looks of it your number one at the moment is money. You see friends who have jobs in the city. Is financial services/banking a better route for you?

2) Speak to your university careers service. They will still see you considering when you graduated.

TheoGriff likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Spot on, @DYNAMO67 ! University Careers Services are usually helpful several years after graduation.

4. Lynn Whitmore

Lynn Whitmore New commenter

There are many careers that Maths teachers can get into, such as accounting, working for a bank in the City, becoming an actuary and similar. The key is to research the careers and you are young enough to compete with young graduates for such positions. Good luck.