1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative career advice wanted

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Kerrie291, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Kerrie291

Kerrie291 New commenter

Hello,

I am looking for some advice and suggestions about the direction of my career. I'm currently in my second year of teaching in a school I love. I'm a single mum and often struggle with work/ life balance. As much as I love teaching, I can't see myself doing it forever as I'm finding it takes over too much of my personal life. I was just wondering if you had any suggestions about future career moves. I still want to work with children in some capacity, just without the burden of all of the marking/ planning. I've always had an interest in special needs and have experience in this area. I wouldn't mind a slight drop in pay.

Thanks in advance

2. kmayes1

kmayes1 New commenter

Hello
    I am considering the same and I am getting in touch with supply agencies? Have you considered going along that route?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo to both of you, and welcome to the forum.

As you can imagine, you are not the first to ask this question; this year has been the year of the I want out of teaching, I'm afraid.

Very sad, as you have both put a lot of effort and time into becoming qualified.

Here's a thread that I started which has some suggestions for you

Possible other careers

I hope that something here will help you think of an appropriate exit strategy for you.

Best wishes for 2016

4. Buttercream

Buttercream New commenter

Have you looked into applying for jobs as a special needs teacher?
    There are many different special schools out ther depending on your interests for example PMLD, SLD, MLD, Autism and so forth.
    Im afraid that there is just as much pressure, workload, pointless paperwork, assessment, jumping through hoops for SLT, but the kids are fantastic!

I've had many great years in special education before I decided that teaching wasn't for me anymore.
    You could always look at youth work too.

5. Kerrie291

Kerrie291 New commenter

Hi,

I have thought about it in the past but not sure I'd like the uncertainty of that, it's really hard because I absolutely love the school I'm in, would just like evenings and weekends without the workload spill over :-( I'm not ruling it out supply teaching in the future, but was just hoping for some suggestions on where else I could take my career in a few years time. I'm going to stay where I am for a few years and hopefully do some more training on the side.

Good luck with the supply

6. Kerrie291

Kerrie291 New commenter

Thankyou for your response, will certainly look at the link you posted. I love teaching and will be doing it for a few more years, just don't think I could do it long term.

7. Kerrie291

Kerrie291 New commenter

I have thought about that too and I'm certainly not ruling it out. I did some voluntary work in a special needs school and loved it. Would just have to think long and hard about moving schools as I'm in a fantastic school as it is.

Thanks for your response