1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Altering my tuition times

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by KitKat30, Jul 7, 2018.

1. KitKat30

KitKat30 New commenter

Hi there. I give 1:1 dyslexia tuition to primary school students, most of whom have been with me for over a year, and I anticipate that all of them will be coming back in September. Owing to my little boy finishing school 15 minutes later in September, I would like to re-time my tuition slots accordingly, otherwise it will be quite a rush to get home and ready for my students in time, although I could keep my present times at a pinch. I mentioned this to the parent of one of my students, who immediately raised an objection that she could not come 15 minutes later because that was her child's tea time. I therefore backed down. But having given the matter more thought, I nevertheless feel that I need to do it, even if I lose a student or two in the process.

I am wondering whether I should let parents know now, or wait until September and inform them say a week or two before lessons start again. I want to be fair to parents, but I'd feel more secure in just agreeing a re-start date with them following their last lesson this term and tackling the new timings nearer the start of term. Are there any other tutors out there who have made similar changes?

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I would let them know now.
    I know how I personally react to any kind of unexpected news - I never take it well. But that wears off over hours, days or weeks depending as I assimilate whatever it was. If you tell them now, they have chance to plan around it.

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Tell them now
    If you lose a few you have time to find new ones
    The vast majority have been flexible with me and some have changed times or days to fit in with me when I've gained a new student or whatever
    I wouldn't lose any sleep over someone who can't alter tea time by 15 minutes

sparkleghirl likes this.
  4. KitKat30

KitKat30 New commenter

Many thanks for your replies. This has really helped clarify my thinking, and I have contacted all my parents this afternoon (hopefully not spoiling their enjoyment of the football too much).

5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Contacting them this term is sensible, and hopefully any who have a problem will be able to come back to you and you can see if a swap is possible. There's bound to be the odd complication - maybe teatime on that day can't be any later because a sibling has cubs after tea, or something like that, but they might be happy to swap to another day. It sounds as if you're full, so replacing any you do lose shouldn't be a huge problem.

6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

It’s wise to give good notice of any changes so that parents either have the time or opportunity to make changes to their own schedules to accommodate them or they have time to find another tutor if they cannot manage new times/a different day etc. Music teachers will often give half a term’s notice of things like fee increases or changes which can’t be organised by mutual agreement. This gives a parent time to make other arrangements if necessary.

7. lovingthejob

lovingthejob New commenter

Hi there KitKat30,

I wonder if you can give me some advice? I work as TA in a secondary school and I am currently considering undertaking a L5 qualification which will enable me to tutor students. I'm thinking of going with the BDA, because it is online and because I am funding it myself (no support from my school apart from being able to use the students). Can you tell me which qualification you went with, and if it was the BDA, would you recommend it.

Many thanks
    Helen

8. KitKat30

KitKat30 New commenter

Level 5 is well well worth the while. I didn’t do it online or through BDA so can’t comment. Good luck!

9. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

Hi lovingthejob
    I'm currently starting off on the Level 5 path as well... I've looked at lots of different options, including Helen Arkell, Dyslexia Matters and BDA. Like you, I would be self-funding and for that, as well as other, reasons - i.e. lots of very detailed information being provided about the course, online - I've decided to try the BDA route. I've just put in an application this week! I haven't got QTS (although have worked in schools, in various roles, for several years) but currently work as a private tutor.
    If you'd like to chat further, please do feel free to send me a direct message.
    Many thanks
    CloudTES

10. lovingthejob

Hi there,

I'm still dithering but it's good to know it's worthwhile.

Thanks
    Helen

11. KitKat30

KitKat30 New commenter

I really would recommend it. I think every teacher should cover it in their initial teacher training, although it's a lot to keep on top of as well as being a class teacher/post holder, etc. But an experienced TA could bring a great deal of value to their school with such a qualification. There are new developments all the time as well - but valid educational ones, not box-ticking ones, and this is what really keeps me engaged.

12. lovingthejob

That is what I was thinking. I am a TA, but I am attached solely to the English department. The unfortunate thing is, I asked to do it over a year ago and was told there was no funding, so no point (by the SEND manager and the finance director). I've eventually decided to fund it myself and got permission from the head to be able to use the students, only to find out that another TA is starting the same thing in September. I've a feeling they have the backing of the SEND manager and they are being given study leave to attend a university. This is what is holding me back at the moment. I will be funding it myself but then probably won't get the opportunity to do anything with it as they have the support and I don't.
    I work in the English department and deliver a 1:1 reading intervention to struggling readers as well. I don't work out of the Learning Support department, which is why I haven't got their support. It's all very frustrating.

13. lovingthejob

I've just tried to send you a direct message but I don't know if it worked (and now I can't find it). Can you let me know whether you received it.

14. KitKat30

KitKat30 New commenter

That’s really disappointing, and I wonder whether this is an equal opportunities issue. That being said, it might be an uphill battle proving it, and maybe better to carve out your own path. You can bet that there are dyslexic kids in any school who do not ‘meet the criteria’ for learning support and it is worthwhile getting the qualification not just for those kids but also for the opportunities it will then give you.

15. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

Hi there - unfortunately, I don't seem to have received your message. I started the process of trying to send you a message myself, but have found myself at a loss as to how to do this. I've looked for the promised 'Start a Conversation' tab, but to no avail... I will keep trying!

16. lovingthejob

You are absolutely right. I am going to go for it. I have just emailed the BDA to find out whether the course qualifies for an Advanced Learner Loan. I also sat in on a BDA webinar last night and today I have started working through an Open University OpenLearn course, to get some information before I start. I'm actually quite excited about it now. I will also mention to my head that I am disappointed to discover that I was passed over for this. Thanks for your advice and encouragement.

17. lovingthejob

I might have done it...unless I've only sent it to myself. This does not bode well :)

18. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

Received and replied! Many thanks :)

19. KitKat30

KitKat30 New commenter

At least if you are funding the course yourself you won’t have to feel that you owe the school anything, unlike the other TA. Enjoy the journey!