1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ALT (SLT) Responsibilty Post

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by laurensimon2003, Dec 9, 2017.

1. laurensimon2003

laurensimon2003 New commenter

I am currently a learning co-ordinator for humanities, which is basically head of Geography and Travel and Tourism. My line manager is going on mat leave and she oversees the EBacc subjects. Her post is being split in two, with one person responsible for Geog and History and the other for MFL and ICT. My line manager has encouraged me to apply. i would really love to do this job but i am absolutely convinced that they would never give it to me. My dept has seen a lot of ups and downs - A LOT. I have been on mat leave twice and results have been all over the place really. They were among the worst in the school this year, despite us throwing absolutely everything we had at the kids. The Principal even recognised our progress throughout the year but then we were all shocked come results day. Anyway, my LM knows all this and she still thinks i should apply.

I am so unconfident (that's a word!) that i am really finding it hard to even begin an application letter.
    Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Apply. Be pragmatic if you don't get it.

Pomza and laurensimon2003 like this.
  3. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

• Reflect on examples of good practice against the role you are applying for. Write them down so you can see the many things you have achieved and the impact it's had.
    • Think about three of your very best examples/strengths - remember you want to leave these in the panel's mind at the interview.
    • Practise, practise, practise interview questions with colleagues, family, friends, the cat to increase your confidence in yourself and the belief you have in your examples.
    • Any interview process is an opportunity to learn. This works on both sides - if you are new to interviewing it's ideal practice. The principal and panel will get to know strengths about you that they didn't know before. That can only help you in the future.
    Your line manager is right. Do it and then you can never have any regrets about not going for it as you really would love to do this job.

Good luck.

muso2 likes this.
  4. laurensimon2003

Thank you so much. I think I have done the application now - wow it took ages!
    Practising interview questions is definitely top of my list - as well as also preparing a presentation!!! :/

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Is it an internal post? Are other people applying?
    Do you think you can do the job? Do you want to?

6. laurensimon2003

Sorry, I didn't realise I hadn't replied. Yes, it is internal. The main person I know that has also gone for it is the Head of PE. He's a bit of a suck up, so they like him!! I am the Union Rep, they don't like me. ha ha!

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

WOW! With that kind of response and thinking, I'm not sure you are ready for AHT.
    But I wish you luck in whatever you do.

Piranha likes this.