1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alphabet Frieze

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Aug 22, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Soooo I have found about 300 different alphabet friezes that I could download and laminate for my new classroom (never had a frieze before) but how to choose? This is for year 2.

Is it better to have upper and lower case, or just the one? Which one?

Is plain best, or pictorial?

Does it need to be A4 portrait size or landscape or is smaller ok?

Should I definitely have it on the wall, or a washing line?

Anything else I need to think about? I want to keep the same one all year, so don't want to link it to my topic really.

Any links to fabulous ones much appreciated...though I do have several already.

Thank you.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Soooo I have found about 300 different alphabet friezes that I could download and laminate for my new classroom (never had a frieze before) but how to choose? This is for year 2.

Is it better to have upper and lower case, or just the one? Which one?

Is plain best, or pictorial?

Does it need to be A4 portrait size or landscape or is smaller ok?

Should I definitely have it on the wall, or a washing line?

Anything else I need to think about? I want to keep the same one all year, so don't want to link it to my topic really.

Any links to fabulous ones much appreciated...though I do have several already.

Thank you.

3. This website is being plugged to death on TES by the lady who runs it at the moment but I have to say that I downloaded the alphabet frieze today (http://www.rainbowresources.co.uk/#/alphabet/4549479234) because it is fab for several reasons: It has upper and lower case letters on it (important for little ones to realise that they are the same letter), a nice picture to add interest AND the letters are written on a line so the children can clearly see which letters have bits that fall below the line... This may sound obvious but is a big problem for children coming into my class for some reason.

4. Upper and lower case side by side like on the link. I prefer plain but some might prefer a picture. I think pictures can be useful but also they can be distracting (goodness knows how many pictures we have in classroom). A4 size is good if it is going to be far away, e.g. above whiteboard, high up, etc. If on a washing line that is accessible you could make them smaller. Laminate them, make a set of 2 for the children to play with, ordering, finding something that begins with the letter... sorry diverging.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Good point! I imagine it will be a problem for my new class (year 2) as it was at the start of last year for my old one (year 6) and the one before (year 5)!

I've seen the website plugged as well. I'd like to moan, but it is such a good site that I can't bring myself to!
    I downloaded the alphabet card from there yesterday to have on my writing table.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Keep going...hadn't thought of that, but good idea. and to have two identical ones for self checking.

I was thinking washing line and so double sided.

7. When I looked at dictionary work with a year 1 class we made our own alphabet frieze. I had already put the letters at the top of an a4 piece of paper and then the children chose which letter they would like to add pictures to. They could then look in a dictionary for ideas about what words to use.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wondered about that rainbowele...not hard to make a letter per A4 sheet and get the children to colour and decorate with words. Decorating with words might be better than with pictures as well. Hmmmm, but then it doesn't have the 'on the line' thing.

9. Yeah double-sided would be perfect for those on the 'other' side of the line wherever that may be. Other ideas are find/name the missing letter between h and j or whichever letters, stand next to something that begins with that letter, give each child a letter and stand in order of alphabet (best for Hall/PE time), in pairs hand out alphabet cards (each child must not see the others) get child to sit in front and other child to write the letter on their back with fingers, write letters in air with fingers which letter comes next? Sorry using google chrome so can't start new lines, etc.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you mfl-hopeful...much appreciated.

11. No worries. Hopefully some other people will come along to answer your original question.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you.

I'm thinking seriously about the making our own idea, then having the alphabet on lines displayed on tables.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ohhhhhh I see. Makes sense.

Thank you.

McDonalds have alphabet placemats on their trays at the moment...not sure it would be a good idea to just ask them for a full set would it?

14. I sent off for a (free) alphabet frieze from the post office a couple of years ago. It's lovely. Each letter is on an a4, laminated sheet and has been illustrated by a children's author (ie Q by Quentin Blake, K by Korky Paul etc).

The post office are still doing freebies but it doesn't say whether the frieze is the same. Definitely worth a look though.

http://www.teacherspost.co.uk/free.html

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

WOW lots of lovely free things on the site. Can't imagine they will really send me all the bits I ticked...but you never know.

Thank you.

16. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

We use the poster from Read Write Inc that shows all the sounds, but I find that I have to use it as a teaching aid in the class so children know where the phonemes are. Otherwise it's too confusing (too much all on one page) for them. Last year a child was asking me how to spell where and I said it's on the wall, they had never noticed the question words on display. Of course I never used them or pointed them out. It's made me really start to think about what I put up on display.