1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alpha stim for low mood.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Whiskas, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Whiskas

Whiskas New commenter

As I mentioned elsewhere I have splashed out and arm and a leg (and possibly a kidney) on this tidy piece of kit. It connects to your earlobes via electrodes and pulses an alpha-wave current through your brain. Lots of evidence (medical and independent) of it working to squish anxiety, depression and insomnia. My sister has been using one for 2 years and it has helped her low mood and nerve pain immensely.

So; here's a thread on which I will chart my experiences.
    Yesterday I put the whole kit together, attached electrode clips to ears and adjusted the controls (you adjust the voltage until you feel a little seasick, then turn it down a notch).
    I think I was a bit ambitious; I was on 2 miliamps (or whetever) and still felt a bit swimmy. Kept it on for 40m.
    At bedtime I felt very relaxed and tired but just couldn't quite drop off. Took me about an hour to do so, and them I slept deeply. Like falling down a black hole. This morning I have had a couple of episodes of mild disassociation. I will try it at 1 milliamp tonight, but perhaps for a little longer.

I do feel generally more positive, but tired and a little anxious.

More later in the week!

2. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

Sounds interesting.

3. Whiskas

Whiskas New commenter

Report after 2 weeks' use:

Generally my underlying mood is brighter. I am using the machine on a fairly low level (about 1.5 milliamps) for 50 minutes in the evenings. I'm finding a little paradoxical insomnia happening (the machine is supposed to help with insomnia but I didn't have that; I was using it for persistent low mood) but I do sleep well once I drop off. As a side effect I have very vivid dreams.
    Is it worth it? I'm thinking more clearly, and as I said, I'm generally more cheerful. So at the moment, yes. I'll drop back here every so often and give a progress report, as much for myself as for anybody else who is interested.

For me this is admitting I needed help with persistent low mood but didn't want to take A/Ds; previous excursions into CBT and hypnotherapy have only had a temporary or limited effect.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Yes, please do keep on with the updates. It sounds fascinating.