1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alone in new town and lost confidence

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Pattyclaire, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Pattyclaire

Pattyclaire New commenter

Due to a lack of jobs in my subject in the area I had to move away for my NQT year. I found a great school that seemed to suit me about 2 hours away. Generally this year things have been fine ok, but lately I've been finding everything really tough. The stress of year 11 coursework coupled with a horrendous year 10 class and the constant threat of OFSTED are really getting me down. I don't know anyone in the area and live with 3 rather antisocial people who I have nothing in common with, so I just sit in my room and plan/mark or watch TV. I hate being alone and I don't have a social life so I just end up worrying about school all the time and my horrible classes have really knocked my confidence. I don't feel like I am able to teach a good lesson anymore and I'm sick of being lonely all the time. Any advice on how to rebuild my confidence and make friends in a new town?

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I spent my PGCE and NQT year away from everyone; although it was only 30 miles I was too busy with school work to pop home at the weekend, so I can sympathise. I'm rubbish at making friends, so I don't have any useful advice on that I'm afraid, except to say are there any other NQTs in the school that you could bond with? There were three of us who bonded during my year, to some extent - we had drinks, a meal, text messages, emails, a friendly word when we passed in the corridors etc. Other than that, join a club, something like a book group that actually involves talking? Or a gym class?

3. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

Sorry you are having a tough time it is hard feeling lonely. Have you any hobbies you could do to meet people?

1 person likes this.
  4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Join a choir. Go to a church. Invite colleagues out for a drink. Volunteer it you have time. Join a theatre group. Go to a gym or swimming pool. Invite your neighbours round for a meal. You'll meet new people an perhaps make friends if you do any of these. Just get out and do something. People won't come to you!

1 person likes this.
  5. RuthTom

RuthTom Occasional commenter

Join stuff. Anything where you might be able to talk to people. There should be a few social groups around for youngish people- ask at the local library as they often have information on all the local groups.

wanet likes this.
  6. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

I lived abroad for a while and was given the advice to accept any invitation I received as I might meet someone who would become a friend. It worked well and if you get out and meet people you'll start receiving invitations and will end up meeting people like you.