1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

alone for Christmas

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by catia2, Dec 9, 2011.

1. If you really want to cheer yourself up get into a supermarket on the Saturday before Christmas and listen to the families arguing. They can get quite vicious about the brandy butter you know.

2. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

If you are in the London area, sign up for Crisis at Christmas. To be honest, the vast majority of volunteers have their reasons for doing it, mine is that my mum passed away early December a few years ago, and I can't stand the false run up to Christmas, so I went and did something else. Having said that, I have enjoyed the sessions that I have volunteered on and have met some lovely people, guests and volunteers. Its also been a very humbling experience for one reason and another, and you also witness true loneliness, among other things.
    B x

3. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Are they still taking people on?

4. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

Stupot101,
    have a look on the website, www.crisis.org.uk and follow the links. Some of the shifts get filled up quite quickly, but they are always looking out for people who are able to do the time between Christmas and the New Year, usually 27,28,29 are the tougher ones to fill.
    Good luck, the shifts I usually do were booked out really quickly this year, I don't know what the current situation is.
    Good luck
    B x

5. Bed!
    Bear in mind that many people are miserable at Christmas because they can't choose what to do or who they can spend their time with.
    If you don't want to be on your own, there is always someone who will find an extra place at the table for you.
    The local univerity runs a scheme for overseas students whereby they come to your house for Christmas Day. If you want company, would you consider hosting one or two people?

6. Hey gorgy, thanks for the invite but I will be feeding the homeless at a shelter in the west-mids on the big day and the 26th. I wonder if next year we should set up a christmas day for tessers who aren't spending it with others? Someone who is fairly central in the UK (me?) could host a lunch and tea time "spread" for those who are alone and don't want to be.
    (Hmm wish I'd thought of this sooner. This year I even have a spare house in which to put people up in)
    To the OP: it is only Christmas day that things are shut - the cinema is open on Boxing day and don't forget the sales!

I think the worry is that there is so much expectation to have a perfect day that those who won't have the perfect day spend weeks dreading it. I love the idea of champagne in the bath, DVDs and nails paining etc. I would definitely go for this and this would be perfect for me.

A few years ago I found myself in this position and I did exactly all of this and it was magical. (I did pop and visit some relatives and had a friend visit me but most of the day was spent alone). I remember taking photos of my christmas dinner as it was perfect and I decorated my table with chocolate coins and candles.

OP try to alter your mindset - if you are going to be alone on the big day and for much of the holiday try to make sure you treat yourself well and do all nice things for you.

Please let us know how you get on. I am looking forward to doing my stint at the shelter and I will report back on here if that's OK?

JRTx

7. catia - sorry if this is too personal, but do you have no family anywhere?
    Also as others have said most people may only have a few days off over Christmas, loads to do, loads of places open.
    I sense there is much more to why you are not going to be doing anything over the two week period. [​IMG] Apolgies if I'm looking too much into your situation.

8. I think Catia, you need to pull yourself together a bit (I mean this in a kindly way) as there have been lots of sensible suggestions put to you to solve your problem.

I have spent the last 10 Christmas's alone and I make it a very special day for me - lovely breakfast, presents from me to me, Christmas dinner and lots of DVD's. After 20 years of Christmas with arguing and full blown rows I wouldn't swap it for the world.

Think what would work for you, then be brave!

What a great idea a Christmas Day meet for Tessers alone at Christmas. :)

9. Look, if most people want to buy into the Christmas routine then so be it. I happen to believe that it is far more bother than it's worth. I do try and contact a few people to wish them well for the year ahead- but I will not hear of any fuss or expense on my account. I say this as someone who has had the pleasure of being in many other countries over Christmas, with their being either less taken with or totally oblivious to the annual round of seasons bleatings!