1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alok Sharma tests positive for C-19

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Jun 3, 2020.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

https://twitter.com/i/status/1268263487689707523

After clearly being unwell at the despatch box, Sharma went home to self-isolate and has now tested positive for C-19.

One wonders how many people in parliament he has infected since the MPs were required to go back to the HoC and do the Rees-Mogg conga

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

More once again that the government does not seem to believe it would be a good idea to let or even demand every workplace returning - including theirs - tests their entire workforce before re-opening.

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

You'd have thought that they might at least have expected someone who was unwell to stay at home. It beggars belief that an MP thinks that they are so indispensable as to knowingly put so many people at risk.

4. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Posted this on the PMQ thread, but. If a thing’s worth posting, it’s worth posting twice:

Karl Turner said he had asked the Health and Safety Executive to conduct an urgent risk assessment of working conditions in Parliament.
    He said MPs having to "huddle together" on escalators on the parliamentary estate while lining up to vote were among a number of "unsafe practices".
    The HSE has the power to take enforcement action against any employers which it believes is compelling its staff to work in unsafe conditions or ignoring guidance set out by the government earlier this month.

BBC News

jellycowfish, Jamvic and Sally006 like this.
  5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Are they all going to have to isolate for 14 days?

Rees-Mogg ought to resign.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

He has been tested certainly, but not, as far as I can find out, tested positive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52910303

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...y-alok-sharma-coronavirus-test-speech-commons

Your Twitter link (Names Felton, comedy writer and author) may be jumping the gun, although it would not surprise me if Sharma was infected.

Jamvic likes this.
  7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Even if he's not, in the current circumstances, in fact ever, it is anti-social to go to work if you're ill and you don't know what's wrong with you and you might be infectious.

sodalime, jellycowfish and Jamvic like this.
  8. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Of course I agree with you on this but perhaps he didn’t begin to feel unwell until he got there. If he does test positive it will be a very public demonstration of the test and trace system. A few MP’s may have to self isolate.

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

That's what I was wondering - do we know when he began to feel unwell?

jellycowfish and Jamvic like this.
  10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If the result does come back positive, the contact tracers will not even have to ask him who he's been in contact with. They can just get a list of those in the House today! It will, at least, boost the numebrs being told to isolate.

ajrowing likes this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

At the current time antigen testing takes 24 hours, so Sharma won't get a result until late tomorrow.

sodalime, jellycowfish and Jamvic like this.
  12. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Seems the review of whether mask wearing is required / advisable / sensible has been deemed not necessary. Dosey plonkers sat in their beloved workplace sharing each others exhalations rather than setting a good example to children who are supposed to return to school without any PPE whilst the HSE sit on their fence and refuse to act in accordance with their remit ( to protect people from unsafe practices).

13. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

How do you know at 21:24 the test was positive? Nobody else has got that info.

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It is not possible to know.

The test results will not be known until tomorrow.

Jamvic and LondonCanary like this.
  15. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Alok Sharma is waiting for the test results. Meanwhile, many of the MPs present at parliament today have returned to their constituencies.

My premoderation situation is now down to around thirty minutes so, don't expect this post to show for a while.

Posted at 10.59 p.m. Wednesday 03/06/2020.

I've not been naughty.

My concern is to try to get back to work on 6th July, but as expected, it will now probably be in October and I'll have to take the next HMRC 80% self employed grant in mid August to cover period 6th July to 6th October.

All because people wouldn't behave themselves.

Congratulations to all those who broke the rules. They are funding me to live at home all day for months on end.

16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Jesus, these people are idiots.

Didn't even have time to go home, go back to work, go home again, load the car up and drive 260 miles

17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

And people he may have been in contact with en-route - taxi drivers, tube / rail passengers, potentially.

jellycowfish, Jamvic and nomad like this.
  18. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n Established commenter

Conspiracy theory
    Fake news
    Dc again

19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Watching the video in the Twitter post in the OP, I'm intrigued at the fact of NHS advice about avoiding touching face, including eyes, mouth and nose, and that using tissues should be one use then bin it, but Alok Sharma's practice when clearly feeling a bit dodgy is to take a pocket handkerchief, rub on eyes,wipe palms with it, rub nose with it, place in pocket, remove from pocket, remove glasses and then swipe complete face generously with same handkerchief. Whilst speaking publically.
    What a maverick!

20. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

Evidence?