1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Almost a year in

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mms1, Sep 29, 2017.

1. mms1

mms1 New commenter

So I'm almost a year in to my first headship and was hoping to feel more settled by now. I'm still feeling out of my depth and falling behind. Starting to wonder if this is for me or perhaps this is 'OK' for the first year? The bad days are truly horrible and it feels impossible to get anything remotely right. I'm not a quitter but equally not in the market for a miserable existence. Has anyone else felt like this and does it get better??

install likes this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

I am not a ht, but have worked with quite a few hts. The best ones looked after themselves - and said 'No' to long working hours both for themselves and their staff. They had a thick skin, a goid slt team under them and a real sense of reality. Its just a job - no matter how high up it feels.

There were times when they were moody, shattered, wrong, right, kind, stubborn, wise and so much more. All I know is that it is important to be human - no heroics; and good leaders do feel like you do because they care. And they also delegate, trust and share their teams to work for them so that they as hts do not have to do it all ever.

3. cornflake

cornflake Occasional commenter

Oh lord! I'm in Year 5 - and its the FIRST year I feel remotely like I know what I'm doing!!

SJ26, Marshall, Pomz and 3 others like this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Think back to when you first started teaching. Did you feel like you knew what you were doing and had it all sussed by the end of your first year? Second year? Tenth year?
    Of course it gets easier. Everything gets easier the more you do it. :)

SJ26 and Marshall like this.
  5. mms1

mms1 New commenter

Hi all,

I can see myself giving the same advice to someone else in this situation. I realise that my reaction to this 'feeling' is emotionally driven and as such is pushing reason and rational into the background but we're all human and unhappiness no matter how transient is a difficult place to be. I have no SLT to speak of due to staffing changes and that makes a lonely job even more isolating. It a new week and I will try to be more positive and remind myself that it is just a job!

install likes this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

Do you work in a small school? Why no slt? Is there a heirarchy of responsibility and functioning teams above/ around / below you?

7. mms1

mms1 New commenter

Yes, small rural school which has zero budget (I didn't know until I took the job- my bad!) My deputy moved shortly after I arrived and recruiting a new one with what I can afford to offer has yielded precious few applications. Advertising again as we speak. In the mean time I'm teaching 2 days a week whilst trying to get the school ready for OFSTED. Not much in the way of subject leadership and a very inexperienced teaching staff. Now pulling together PMR targets for the year.

Thanks everyone.

8. Laughing Gravy

Laughing Gravy New commenter

It does get easier or should. Each week and month you learn how to cope with different situations. Lots of great advice on this thread. Believe in yourself, what you are doing and implement your policies and practices Knowing you are doing the right thing. It is lonely as a head but no matter how many teachers you have below you, they need you to be strong and if you look unhappy, you can be assured they will be. Getting support from other heads in your area if your one of only a few. Also on here is a great place to vent the frustrations as we all have them. Obviously having small budget etc doesn't help (I know). Try and think of the reasons why you took the post and think of all the positives. Good luck.

9. mms1

mms1 New commenter

Thanks to everyone that has commented and offered such great advice. I'll keep plugging away at it and have faith that it will get easier!

10. Marshall

Marshall Occasional commenter

I agree that it does get easier but also harder in terms of new challenges and extra workload. 13 years in and although I think I can deal with most things something always happens which challenges me. That's what makes the job so interesting!

11. Northhead

Northhead New commenter

I’ve been there in terms of the small, rural school bit so I know how hard it feels. Happy for you to contact me for any advice privately should you need any.

I do think that the bad days as a head are way in front of anything as a teacher though!

12. mms1

mms1 New commenter

I couldn't agree more, I'm not understating the stresses and rigour of being a class teacher but the stress of headship is altogether more profound and lonely.

13. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

My advice is to make links with local heads, especially ones in similar circumstances. Then make sure you get out of school and meet up with them regularly.

It may not solve any problems but it does help to know you aren't the only one facing them.