1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Allowing your pupils an exeat

Discussion in 'Independent' started by FairyHoneyPeaches, Nov 25, 2015.

1. FairyHoneyPeaches

FairyHoneyPeaches Occasional commenter

At my school (boarding independent) pupils have to put a case in writing to the house master/mistress for an exeat . This is not always approved, even when there has been a good case in my opinion (wedding, art exhibition, etc). What policy does your school operate?

2. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Two fixed exeats per term. All expected to leave the premises(*), although those with overseas parents are allowed to stay if they have nowhere in the UK to go. There is always at least one resident housemaster and matron on duty during exeat weekends. Parents of anyone not staying at home for the exeat (e.g. staying with a friend or going on a course) must send a letter detailing who is repsonsible for the child when away from school.

Exeats for family events at other times are normally granted by the housemaster - usuakky by email or phone negotiation with the parents (pupils don't apply in writing).

(*) It used to be the case that new pupils were not granted exeats in their first term, but that was dropped some years ago. Remnants of a rather harsh regime of the past, I think.

4. FairyHoneyPeaches

FairyHoneyPeaches Occasional commenter

Thank you so much for your replies. Florian what a detailed account.