1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Allowing time for staff to visit another school when job hunting

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Nowayout, Apr 1, 2018.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If someone is looking to apply for a sought after type position, with a great many applicants, they could well clock up more than two interviews and could easily end up with five plus. Should heads say something like "I know you really, really want to move on and I am supportive, but sorry you can't apply for any more posts this term because I don't want you out to interviews"?

Whenever we see threads from someone upset that they haven't been successful at their third or fourth attempt, there are always a flood of replies from people (some of which are heads) saying it took them 5, 10, 15... goes to get a post they wanted, especially for those going for first posts or SLT posts, both of which tend to have many applicants. If heads know it can take a great many attempts, why would they restrict the number their staff can attend?

I know it's a pain to have people out. I know it costs a fortune in supply, or classes are left with TAs, but I am really surprised to read that heads would refuse someone who was just unfortunate in the first couple. (Obviously if someone is unsuccessful because they are applying to posts they have no hope of getting, a different conversation is needed. But for most staff this won't be the case.)

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Nightmare... Are they due any swimming lessons...?

simonCOAL, Lara mfl 05 and digoryvenn like this.
  3. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Never had a problem with this. I would not stand in anyone’s way and don’t know of any other head who does.

Had two or three very good colleagues who only needed one interview but most have had 3 or 4 goes. So no big deal. I tended to cover the class if they need to go for an morning or afternoon visit. It can be done ( and this was very recently, not a decade ago).

We had a colleague who had 6 failed DH attempts. Stopped applying for a couple of years. Tried again. Got appointed after another 4 goes. There for 18 months and got internal promo to HT. Three years later, exec head. Funny old world.