1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Allowing time for staff to visit another school when job hunting

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Nowayout, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Nowayout

Nowayout New commenter

My KS1 lead is looking for promotion. He is keen to look at the schools before he applies and has done so for four different settings. Currently he has one day which is non class based during his week when he takes his PPA and management time. He has been viewing schools when possible during this time or has swapped when it hasn't fallen like this.
    He has had two interviews requiring additional days but has not been successful.

Whilst I was initially happy to be accommodating with the viewings etc , I am now getting concerned about the frequency of the visits and the inevitable impact.

Thoughts ?!

2. altally

altally New commenter

To be honest, as long as he’s catching up with the work in his own time I’d have no issue with this. In my school there’s a limit of 2 interviews per academic year which are paid. Any more is head’s discretion and could be unpaid.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Nowayout

Nowayout New commenter

Thanks.

I guess I'm concerned about how long it could go on for. Another concern is that he is thinking of relocating to an entirely different part of the country so I'm wondering if he will start looking there too!

Interesting about the two interview per year rule. I'll get thinking about that......

4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

It’s your choice inevitably. What you have got to Factor into the situation though is, if you allow one member of staff to leave school during work hours to visit schools or attend interviews, you will get other colleagues requesting leave to do the same thing if they have intentions of leaving.

In my school, I advise staff to try and schedule visits that doesn’t have a massive impact on the school (for example, non contact time or after school). I would decline any request from a member of staff who requires to attend an interview during school hours when they have a full day timetable to teach. I’ve never really had that problem though.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

If some schools did not insist on pre-shortlisting visits, there would be less of a problem!
    It's tricky - if you were advertising the type of position he is going for, would you expect someone to come round in school hours? Have you offered some coaching for interviews?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Jago: are you saying you don't allow teachers to attend interviews?
    "I would decline any request from a member of staff who requires to attend an interview during school hours when they have a full day timetable to teach"

Pomza and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I can understand that for visits, but not for interviews!

Visits we are told to try and schedule in non-contact time or after school.
    Interviews are whenever they are and as many as it takes to be successful.

Two a year seems very small, especially for those applying for SLT roles.

strawbs and Pomza like this.
  8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Never heard of a HT refusing time-off to attend an interview!

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

A visit before application could be after school. These could be just be speculative and I don't think you have to accommodate these. A visit once shortlisted as part of the interview process is a different matter and not what you're worried about I don't think.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Do you want people to visit your school when they apply for a job, or look more favourably on those who do? If so it seems unfair to deny this member of staff the opportunity which you want another headteacher to give a prospective member of your staff.

11. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

"I would decline any request from a member of staff who requires to attend an interview during school hours when they have a full day timetable to teach. I’ve never really had that problem though."

Not heard of that one before- how do you recruit staff you have shortlisted for your school if other HT's do the same, or do you interview on different days based on when individual candidates can attend ?

12. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

We have a leave of absence policy which states how much time is allowed for various reasons (including interviews). Anything after that is up for discussion and this includes taking the leave as unpaid. This means it's fair for everyone.

Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  13. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You need to see the school with the kids in it to get a feeling of what it's really like there...

14. jago123

I think you mis read my comment, I said, I advise my staff that they can visit prospective schools as long as it’s not during direct contact time.
    If it’s for interviews however, then there will be occasions when you need to attend during work hours, again, I advise that they arrange an interview when there is a minimal impact to the timetable.

15. jago123

I don’t strictly say no, because in my 25 year career there have been times when I have needed time out of work to attend interviews.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Interviews are arranged by prospective employers and not candidates. Candidates can't ask for an interview to be arranged on a day to avoid disruption to a teaching timetable! Candidates are told when an interview is!

17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Prospective school sends out a letter with the date and time. It is when it is.
    Often they are whole days and, for SLT, sometimes two.

Are you sure you are a head of a school in the UK?

18. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

Very odd!!!
    It can be very annoying when staff are consistently missing time for interviews and required visits BUT recruitment is so important we all want it to work for us when we are trying to appoint the right person so we have to 'suck it up' and get on with it!

19. Nowayout

Nowayout New commenter

All interesting comments.....

I have absolutely no problem at all with interviews. It's those compounded with 'in school' time visits that can become a problem if they become frequent.

I'm always committed to the development of staff but also strongly feel that everything needs to be fair.

Still.......interesting views all round.

I've got bigger issues now - a flooded hallway and KS1 department! No

20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I do remember a former Head who posted on here that she did once refuse someone time off to attend an interview, mainly because it was their 5th interview that particular term.

So some school policy such as Marshall has
    would definitely be worth looking at and implementing fro the future or else as jago123 says
    everything needs to be clearly set out.