1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Allowing a delivery driver to enter your home when you are out?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Oct 5, 2018.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...l-smart-locks-customers-doors-dont-have-wait/

Waitrose customers will no longer have to stay in for their food deliveries as the supermarket will become the first to send delivery men into their homes while they are out.

An "in-home" delivery service, in which front doors are being fitted with "smart door locks" to give drivers access to customers' homes to unpack groceries while they are out, is about to be trialled.

Delivery men will be fitted with chest cameras so customers can be sure they are not stealing their items or nosying through their drawers while they are out, and customers have the option of requesting the footage afterwards.

Personally, no.

Back in the early 1950s, delivering into the house (in rural areas, at least) was commonplace. The baker walked in and put the bread on the kitchen table, the milkman would deliver the milk right to the fridge (we didn't have one - it went into the pantry, an air-cooled cupboard), etc.

I still remember an embarrassing moment (for my mother) when she had just finished washing her hair in the kitchen sink (as one did in the 1950s without a bathroom) and she heard footsteps, so hid in the pantry, assuming it was the baker.

It wasn't, it was the milkman, so he walked in and opened the pantry door to put the milk on the cold marble shelf, as was his usual practice. Mother said "Oh, I'm sorry. I thought it was the baker."

It was all round the village by 1pm!

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I expect quite a few people will sign up only to use the heavily discounted first delivery, just so they can request the footage-
    Tada! Free home videos of your dog going completely bonkers, to gift to all your family members for Christmas!

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

They could try!

I think they might get bitten though. I wouldn't recommend it.

Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

It's a no from me. I don't even let the delivery man in at the moment.He waits at the door while family ferry the boxes to the kitchen which is downstairs. I don't want dirt on the carpet, no outdoor shoes allowed in the house.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Can't see it taking off personally and no I wouldn't be interested in it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Dragonlady30 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'm a "no shoes in the house woman" too.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I’ve only used supermarket delivery services twice and wasn’t satisfied either time. So this is not something that would interest me st all.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

No one needs access to the house for delivery. I am designing a simple repository box that looks like an outsized letterbox operating like a bank nightsafe so things can be put in, but only the keyholder can retrieve items.

border_walker likes this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It all sounds rather desperate to me, as are many customer service innovations.

It's easy to forget that once upon a time, excellent customer service was a normal practice. We never even heard the term being used, pre-Maggie and the rip off era that followed.

As @nomad describes, there was once a time when bread and milk was delivered. It was normal too for butchers, greengrocers and grocers to deliver too, if for any reason you didn't want to visit the shops, or would struggle to carry it home. You know what? It gave work experience opportunities for kids who earned a few bob in pocket money from the business owner and if they went the extra mile when they delivered the goods, they'd get a tip as well.

If they didn't go that extra mile, those kids would get a clip round the ear from the boss and an earful from the customer, threatening to clip the other ear. It was how I learned to give great customer service as a kid, and a skill that served me well in later life when I thrived on repeat business from satisfied customers.

But there you go. Supermarkets came along and put all small traders out of business.

That last sentence is a lie.

It was the small traders' customers who put them out of business, by being tempted to the stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap merchants.

Let me ask all of you teachers a simple question...

What's foremost in you mind when you go to work? Is it doing your best for the customer, i.e. the student, or doing your best to tick the boxes your employer requires you to?

Back in the days of sanity, when needing inspiration for something different to cook for dinner at a price within your budget, you could ask the advice of your butcher. Indeed my brother, the butcher, related a tale of when one such customer was short of cash and had a family to feed, asked him what he could suggest.

He suggested oxtail, which she hadn't been aware of. He told her how to cook it and she came back the next day, saying her husband had said it was the best meal he'd ever eaten and would like it again.

The following day when she went to his shop, my brother asked if her husband had enjoyed his second meal of oxtail as much, and she relied no. It wasn't as tender as the previous night, but let's not blame the butcher, because it might how come from a different bullock.

It needs to be appreciated here that such discussions involve lots of tact and diplomacy. There is first the tact and diplomacy of the husband in not blaming his wife for being a poor cook, and secondly, that of my brother, for diverting the conversation into "Have you tried stuffed hearts?"

Who among us has ever had this level of customer service from a supermarket?

I never have. The only time I ever get a smile from a checkout assistant is when I take the trouble to tell a joke, and I only feel the need to, because I understand how miserable their jobs are compared with what their lives would have been like before checkout assistants existed.

Like every corporation seeking to improve their customer services ratings via tick box exercises, they have absolutely no idea what actually needs to be changed to ensure their customers come back time and time again and parents choose to send their second kid to the same school their first went to.

The truth is simple.

You'll never get the customer service you want if those who organise it never experience what their company offers.

The most pointless thing anyone can do is to elect politicians who went to the likes of Eton and imagine they will understand in a million years, what it's like in Bash Street School.

There's little we can do about that, other than having the common sense not to elect them.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Nope! It isn’t a new idea; Amazon have been trying it for ages, to a lukewarm reception and this will be the same.

The company that wants access fits the door lock and sets it up - Compromise point

It can operate over your wifi network - Compromise point

It can interface with other household smart devices - Compromise point

It could use Bluetooth (instead of WIFI) - Compromise point

and, IMHO, the wearing of security cameras by delivery staff is a red herring. I would be much more interested in whether Waitrose have any written guarantees of recompense if ones house is broken into through negligence of their staff or fault with the equipment.

Dragonlady30 and Jamvic like this.
  11. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Chest cameras doesn’t stop them bringing someone with them!

colpee, Dragonlady30, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  12. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Indeed, or just turning your back on the wallet or purse left on the table while you fish through it.

It is a big 'no thank you' from me.

*To be fair, not sure I'd like to do this if a driver.....what happens if you are (wrongfully) accused of theft or damage to property?

Jamvic likes this.
  13. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I have used supermarket deliveries a few times, once when I had injured my knee and couldn't walk or drive. It was fine. But there isn't really anything extra here which appeals to me. Who pays for the new lock? can it be used as an ordinary lock? What if it malfunctions and locks you out? Seems a bit unnecessary to me.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I hope it works better than the lock supplied by EasyCar Club for my wife's care hire. That works on the basis of issuing a one-off PIN to customers who have paid for the car key, but it is constantly breaking down.

15. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Sounds like a good idea to me.
    What could possibly go wrong?

16. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Absolutely no way!

Jamvic likes this.
  17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

What indeed! :rolleyes:

18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Mrs FG took a sledge hammer to her car lock-safe yesterday. The batteries failed and the charger didn't correct the problem, so her car keys were locked inside with no way of getting even the electronic emergency code to work. Funnily enough, the shock of the sledge hammer opened the lock and then restarted the electronics - but she is in "never again" mode today!

colpee likes this.
  19. colpee

colpee Star commenter

But the personal touch is still around @Duke of York. We frequently get deliveries from Waitrose, and last week, OH spotted an issue with fish that had been delivered as a substitute; something to do with quantity v price & OH was bothered there was a good chance she would be refunded the wrong amount when she refused the swap. The delivery driver agreed but declared he would make sure they got it right and would give her a ring to let her know - which he did about 8:30 in the evening after his round was finished. So after a day of humping other people’s groceries around, instead of knocking off, he takes the time to ensure someone else does their job properly and then rings to tell us when it is sorted - not because he was obliged to, but because he obviously cared!

20. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

What S,h,i,t,h,o,l,e,s you lot must stay in. The Post, Courier, Tesco, Neighbours and somebody I have just met on the beach all have access to my house. The Post will even sign for the post if we are out, in fact he will sign for it if we have our hands full.