1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

% allocation of PE units

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bouncybunny, Dec 10, 2011.

1. bouncybunny

bouncybunny New commenter

Hi,
    I'd be really grateful if anyone could give me an answer to this question: Is there a legal requirement for a certain percentage of time be allocated to the different units in KS1 and 2? Do different units have a different weighting? Are there legal requirements or just guidelines in place? Also, I'd be intersested to know how much time overall is given to PE in a week in KS1 and 2 in your schools. Is everyone managing the 'two hour' minimum aspiration or do people feel this is unrealistic? Is anyone actually exceeding this? Thank you in advance.

2. bouncybunny

bouncybunny New commenter

Hi,
    I'd be really grateful if anyone could give me an answer to this question: Is there a legal requirement for a certain percentage of time be allocated to the different units in KS1 and 2? Do different units have a different weighting? Are there legal requirements or just guidelines in place? Also, I'd be intersested to know how much time overall is given to PE in a week in KS1 and 2 in your schools. Is everyone managing the 'two hour' minimum aspiration or do people feel this is unrealistic? Is anyone actually exceeding this? Thank you in advance.

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I think the thing to remember is that the 2 hours includes changing time and travelling time. If you work in KS1 you will know changing can easily take 15 mins each way, wasting half an hour of that 2hours. Also, if/when you go swimming, the time getting there counts.....
    Things like daily wake &shake count too (5mins a day = 25 mins per week).
    I've never been in a school where more than 2 hours happened. In my experience, as soon as a visitor, school play or anything else comes along, PE (along with RE) is the first thing to get dropped.