1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Allocation across KS3 for French, Spanish and German

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jasminepoppy, Jan 9, 2012.

1. I would really value your ideas for how to allocate (fairly) the teaching of 3 languages in Years 7, 8 and 9. French has historically been the main foreign language studied where I work but the tide has been turning for a while now and Spanish is fast becoming the more popular foreign language. Currently, French is studied in Years 7, 8 and 9 and German or Spanish are studied in Years 8 and 9. Can I ask how language learning is allocated across KS3 in your schools please? Thank you in advance.

2. 5 (50 min) periods per language per fortnight in KS3, French compulsory from Y7, option between Spanish and German from Y8 as 2nd language (top 2/3 of ability). It looks as if we may alternate French and Spanish as the Y7 language from this September.

3. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Y7 Fr 4 x 40 mins (10%)
    Y8 Fr 5 x 40 mins (12.5%)
    Y9 Fr 4 x 40 mins; Ger 3 x 40 mins (for half year) Sp 3 x 40 mins (for half year) (17.5%)

This model maintains excellence in and gives time to one language and allows a taste of two others plus a start for those who wish to be dual linguists at KS4. You could do the same for Sp as main language.

4. Spsmith- is that per week or per fortnight? Thanks.

5. You are very lucky. That sounds ideal.

6. My current school only does French and German. Years 7 and 8 have 3 lessons per fortnight of both French and German, then in Y9 they opt to either carry on with just one, and have 3 lessons of it a week, or keep doing both and continue with the 3 lessons a fortnight model. Our lessons are an hour.

My placement school last year on PGCE had a model I did quite like. It was a language college so languages were compulsory to KS4 :)

French was the first language for Y7-9, Y7s had 2 lessons a fortnight, Y8 & 9 had 4 lessons a fortnight. Then half of the year group did Spanish as their 2nd language from Y7 (with 2 lessons), and the other half did German. Parents did get an option to choose their child's 2nd language in the past, but this was phased out and now pupils are placed randomly in the X or Y year half - probably for the best as otherwise I suspect more would have opted for Spanish!