1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Allocating UMS for Maths/Further Maths final grades

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by TJHooker, Aug 21, 2011.

1. I read somewhere that Edexcel would
    allocate individual module UMS to Maths/Further Maths so as to maximise grades,
    with the obvious exception of compulsory units.</font>

I have a student that has been given final
    grades A* and B based as below </font>

C1 100 C2 92 C3 90 C4 91 M1 96 S1 99 = 568

FP1 92 FP2 66 D1 77 S2 79 M2 90 M3 70 = 474

Is there any reason why modules M1 and D1
    are not exchanged to give grades A* and A?<font size="3">

</font>
    <font size="3">

</font>

<font size="3">

</font>

2. I read somewhere that Edexcel would
    allocate individual module UMS to Maths/Further Maths so as to maximise grades,
    with the obvious exception of compulsory units.</font>

I have a student that has been given final
    grades A* and B based as below </font>

C1 100 C2 92 C3 90 C4 91 M1 96 S1 99 = 568

FP1 92 FP2 66 D1 77 S2 79 M2 90 M3 70 = 474

Is there any reason why modules M1 and D1
    are not exchanged to give grades A* and A?<font size="3">

</font>
    <font size="3">

</font>

<font size="3">

</font>

3. DM

DM New commenter

This should be A* and A. I suspect you failed to unlock the AS modules when you certificated. This is easy to fix but you need to make sure you do this automatically in future.

4. DM

DM New commenter

From the OCR website:
    Why recertificate? Is it always the best option?
    <font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">We advise candidates that when they enter for a qualification in the GCE Maths suite they should recertificate for any qualification that they have previously entered. This often has the potential to lead to an improved grade.
    For example if you enter for AS Maths using C1, C2, S1 one summer and then A level Maths the following summer with C3, C4, M1 you might improve your AS grade (or UMS) by recertificating; C1, C2, M1 might be a higher-scoring combination.
    Another example would be if you enter for A level Maths using C1-4, M1, S1 one summer and then AS Further Maths using FP1, NM, D1 the following summer. By recertificating for the A level you are opening up the possibility that you might improve your result from a combination like C1-4, M1, D1.
    There is one situation where this might not be to the advantage of the candidate. Sometimes we hear of universities that make offers based on (say) over 90 UMS on all A level Maths units, with Further Maths ignored. In this case you might wish to contact someone in the Maths team to discuss what the best approach is.
    </font>

5. DM

DM New commenter

[​IMG]

6. Outrageously fast reply for this time in August. Not quite so quick with the kindle on the beach.

Much appreciated. Although the S1 UMS is from january 2011 hence not cashed in hence not locked (???)

Also as a newbie (albeit long term lurker) i am uncertain of the `avatar` comment/offer.

OK lets see how this gets formatted.

Thanks again

7. DM

DM New commenter

Was suggesting you use that picture in your profile - something to do when you are sitting at a computer I think.
    Did you lock the D1 into AS Further Maths then or did you recertificate AS maths in January to include the S1? Locked units is almost certainly your problem - just recertificate.

8. GoldMaths

GoldMaths New commenter

Sadly I think this is correct:

this is what i found in the official JCQ website:
    First, award the best grade for each subject title (starting with Mathematics). Then, without changing
    the subject grades, the uniform mark for each subject title (starting with Mathematics) will be
    maximised.
    My understanding would imply that the arrangement is correct even though sadly swapping S1 and D1 would mean A* A.

9. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

If you read example 2 from the JCQ document you have quoted from you will see that DM is correct .

10. GoldMaths

GoldMaths New commenter

Glad to be pointed out as wrong, I didnt have the sense to read the original source was a secondary quote from another forum:

http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1028/30.%20Grading%20A%20level%20Mathematics%20~%20Notice%20to%20Centres.pdf

As pointed out Example 2 is exactly what your situation is re certificate and the student will get A*/A.

11. nikekillrhino

nikekillrhino New commenter

The following is for Edexcel examination board.

Hi. I know this is a really old thread but I have a question specifically regarding this point if you don't mind:
    In my school, those who take further maths a level do maths in year 12 and further maths in year 13. For maths, we take C1-C4 and M1-M2.
    Our teachers, and ex students, have said that the M2 module can be used towards the further maths qualification. I.e. a 94% in that module could count towards the A* requirement for further maths.
    However, my examiner officer cashed in the a level maths grade and (for some reason) has not opened the cash by reentering for both maths and further maths for this years examinations so that all 12 units could be combined to give the best possible grade for both qualifications.

So my question is what can there be done about this? Is it the case that even if my a level maths modules are cashed that M2 can still be used for further maths (in replace of a module such as S1 which I'm doing this year), or is there some special thing I need to do now or on results day to request all modules to be opened up?

Could this 'recertification' that you speak of be the solution?

Would be so grateful if you could reply, many thanks

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016