1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Allergies & school meals

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by cleobud, Feb 11, 2019.

1. cleobud

cleobud New commenter

Not sure where to post this but would appreciate knowing what others do.
    Is your policy on allergies and food, that a parent has to provide medical evidence of that allergy before allowances can be made for school meals? We have a parent who doesn't want their child to have a number of things due to allergies, but has no medical letter.

2. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

I guess it depends whether this is a self-diagnosed allergy or they have had allergy testing and are under the paediatrician. It could be the parent noticed the child reacted in a certain way when they ate a food e.g. dairy but hasn't had them officially tested. If they have had the allergy testing then they should be able to provide you with the notes from the testing which will outline what the allergy is and the severity of the reaction.

3. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

I'd just take the parents word for the allergy... why would you want to risk anything else?
    I have a food allergy, but no medical certificate... believe me, if you made me eat the offending food, I'd be very, very sick.

Pomza likes this.
  4. R13

R13 New commenter

A request for evidence may seem reasonable to you but to the parents receiving it they will typically assume this school doesn't trust me at best and is possibly calling me a liar. Very damaging

Pomza likes this.
  5. flyingdaisy

flyingdaisy New commenter

But we would be overrun with requests for individual dietary requirements based on nothing more than “ he doesn’t like carrots” (ergo he is allergic)
    I wouldn’t be taking anyone’s word for anything.
    Evidence all the way for me.

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

What do you do when the parents have noticed an allergy or intolerance but have not yet had an official diagnosis?