1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Allegedly outragious head teacher!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Sep 15, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Is it normal for a head teacher to request confirmation from the awarding body (DFE) for QTS despite seeing a teacher's certification?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

These days? Yes.

A standard part of safeguarding procedures in the 'Safer Recruitment' strategy.

Nothing outrageous about it at all.

peggylu and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Bloody Head Teachers; coming on here an nudging us in the direction of the electrodes.

kibosh likes this.
  4. delmamerchant

I disagree. It is not part of safeguarding as there is a DFE number that you can check and other procedures, I have never come across a head phoning the DFE to check if the teacher's credentials are true. uh uh

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Disagree all you want.

Are you a head?

Clearly not.

install, Pomz and Sundaytrekker like this.
  6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

You don't 'phone the DFE', you go onto the secure access website and check any new teacher. You even 'claim' them as working at your school. The site tells you if there is a prohibition order against the teacher. This is all part of safer recruitment checklists these days. A teacher can access their own details, too. I was pleased to find I could print a QTS certificate for myself as it wasn't called that in the early 1980s!

7. delmamerchant

I am not debating the checking on the site, that is what it is there for.

I am debating contacting the DFE and asking them to write/email and confirm despite being able to access the information online.

8. delmamerchant

I think you have misunderstood my post. Please read the post before this one.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Sigh...

Yes it is.

:rolleyes:

10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Can't see anything outrageous in this at all. Schools are required to check the validity of any "certification" presented by the teacher. It most certainly is a Safeguarding requirement to do that and the school must record on its SCR (Single Central Record) that it has verified QTS with the DFE. The very first thing Ofsted say they do when they arrive (and I can confirm from recent personal experience that they do this) is inspect the SCR including for evidence that the school has confirmed QTS with DFE. The online site allows checking other stuff that must be recorded on SCR too - whether they passed their NQT for example.

Whether they do it through the online secure portal or by phoning DFE seems irrelevant. I can't see how it maters tuppence how the head confirms with DFE although I'm pretty sure that if head did phone DFE they'd be told to log in to online portal to do their checking.

Sundaytrekker, nomad and Pomz like this.
  11. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

The safer recruitment training I had to do said we had to check a new teacher's qualifications and that confirmation of this should be kept on the SCR.

Sundaytrekker and nomad like this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

They can do it how they like. As long as it's on their time and at their expense.

install likes this.
  13. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I can confirm what Rott Weiler said. That's exactly how my most recent conversation with an Ofsted inspector went and is exactly what was required. So to the OP, yes they have to check this.

nomad and install like this.
  14. install

install Star commenter

Sounds ok to me ....:cool:

nomad likes this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why is it a problem if they do telephone rather than check online? And how would you know? I have no idea at all what checks my head or HR made when I applied...that kind of thing is up to them to sort out.

I don't understand your outrage.

And isn't this more Workplace Dilemma than Personal?

nomad likes this.
  16. delmamerchant

You are right it is workplace I shall post it there.