1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Allegation-depression-capability

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by messiah, Jul 10, 2011.

1. I had an allegation made against me last summer and was away for 3 months including the summer holiday. Terrifying interview under caution with police followed, then a disciplinary meeting with a year's written warning for inappropriate physical contact which I felt was unjust as I had not done what the boy had accused me of and did not feel my actual action had been unreasonable. I returned immediately to school on a slightly reduced timetable (4 hours less than previously) and was very fragile until finally diagnosed as moderately depressed and had 2 and 1/2 days of work in December 'cos I couldn't stop crying! Went back to school as the Head said it wasn't good for me to stay at home on my own all day. I felt a fraud because I was fine at home; it was only when I had to talk to anyone from school that I got upset again. Went to the doctor and went on a waiting list for counselling. 7 months later of waiting and I've finally started Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. In the meantime I've found making decisions and keeping up to date with organisation, internal assessments and paper work hard work. This term I have also written 215 reports, organised two history trips, a sponsored skip for the BHF and written all the certificates for Sports day and Speech day.

This week the Head and a senior teacher, told me that next year I will be back on a full timetable with a new subject to teach (French), they will give me a mentor to support me and regular targets to achieve, but by Christmas I must be operating at full efficiency, and support at this level will no longer be available and if I'm not up to scratch Capability procedures will be started. Even though each term I have been more confident than the last, I'm scared about what will happen if I can't cope. I work in a private school and when I was away it placed an extra burden on other staff, as does my lighter timetable. (Rarely cover doesn't exist, more like regular cover!) Should I contact my union now or wait until anything further happens? They were very helpful re the initial allegation etc. But I don't want to bother them unless it's necessary.

2. "was very fragile until finally diagnosed as moderately depressed and had 2 and 1/2 days of work."

Sorry that should read 2 and 1/2 days OFF work! - slight difference!

3. I would contact my union just to keep them in touch with what is going on and ask for advice. If you are worried and they can help you it is not "bothering" them - it's why you pay your membership fees.