1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ALL YEAR 1 TEACHERS! please help...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by michelle2006, Mar 7, 2011.

1. I am having a big debate at the moment with my assessment co-ordinator about APP maths for year 1 (level 1) for children in my class. I was just wondering what others do?...

1. I think the expectation of level 1 being numbers working to 10 is ridiculous! that is a reception expectation.
    Our co-ordinator says that thats what it is and we are setting targets too high. I agree that it's the skills and processes they need to learn but as far as number knowledge, i think they need to know and work with higher numbers throughout their time in year 1 (to show progression) (level 2 is numbers to 100).
    What do you think/do?

2. There isn't any scope for differentiation within the APP grids and especially the number section, it is too 'woolly' and not detailed enough. Does anyone agree?

3. What do you use and how do you use it to assess for maths? (i've already looked at the wigan LEA stuff)

PLEASE HELP - I want to do my best for the children and I don't mind putting the work in to devise something but don't want to waste my time!

2. 1. Just teach what they are ready for - if it happens to be a level 2 objective then so be it!
    2. Yes I agree, every app statement seems to be the same.
    3. I just use the APP grids. They are woolly, but you can see differences in some of the statements.
    Even our maths co-ordinator says just go with it![​IMG]

3. I always think this too - it should be numbers to 20 for a low level 1 and beyond for a high 1 - but that is what we've got to work with.

4. The attainment target Ma2 (National Curriculum) defines level 1 as:
    Pupils count, order, add and subtract numbers when solving problems involving up to 10 objects. They read and write the numbers involved.

That is Level 1. Nowhere does it state that you must not /cannot move on from this in Year 1. Anything more than this moves into Level 2. Where is the problem?

5. I'm a maths coordinator in Year 1.
    I totally agree that counting to 10 is an objective they will achieve very easily, but remember, the APP is not a curriculum, it is not something you are TEACHING to, it something you are assessing from. If you have a year one child working at a higher level (and I have all of mine working above that) - then assess them as so. These are simply level descriptors, not objectives matched to year groups.
    As teejay100000 has said, look at level 2 for the children that are achieving level 1.

6. but i 100% feel it is the numbers to 10 bit that is the problem - that is reception expectation. i understand about saying that level 2 needs to be worked on but you are supposed to show that the children are making progress, in my case alot of the children in my class (for the number section) could have scored a 1a at christmas so by the end of the year the children would be working around a level 2b (to show progress) at the end of the year but they will not be a 2b - give them a sats paper and they 'officially' wouldn't be able to do some of the things now because its working with numbers to 100 - the majority of my class would be 'more able' for the end of year 1!

7. i agree with you impulce... what do i do about it?!

8. forgot to say then about how that is reflected/looks for future years and assessment data! surely they would be seen as more able chn, that would be rare in whole class situations, i think i would be picked up on it for having 'high' scores! that also shows that they have made 4 sub levels in one year when the content of the curriculum for maths in year 1 is so much more...
    in writing and reading it is more progressive and chn usually come through from reception working towards or at a level 1c - if the eyfs is not to be correlated with the nc then the maths part doesn't match up!

9. There is more to 1a than just numbers to 10. Have they achieved all the other aspects securely? If so then they're a 1a. If they make sufficient progress- and reach enough of the level 2 objectives- then they will be a 2b by the end of the year. I am a bit confused as to what the problem is here?

10. do you teach in year 1?

11. Take a look and the Numbers and Patterns materials produced last year (strategies site I think). It provides very detailed progression in number for EYFS and Y1 teachers.

12. yes I do

13. ok clematis - i take everything on board and it has helped clear my head a little...

just out of interest (i know its not all of it but it is a lot of it) what numbers are your children working with?

14. bloot - thanks for that link, will take a read of the 190 pages now!

15. All are working beyond 10, even the SEN but they're still not a 1a because they haven't got other aspects- I haven't got my APPs handy so don't know for sure. Also, if we're talking SEN, they can recognise, order and work with numbers to 20 but can't always form them without looking at a number line (even then they sometimes can't!)
    I have two children who were assessed at 2c a couple of weeks ago and they are working confidently with numbers up to 100.
    Half of my children (exactly 30- just counted!) are level 1a and the other 13 are 1c or 1b.
    Not sure if that answers your question or not?! I do expect to have some 2bs in the year group by the summer- there are more in the other class who came up at point 9 from EYFS and now have a 2c after assessments.

16. I do think the APPs are very broad and when assessing you obviously need to use other criteria/ professional judgement. Yes we all have targets to meet but our assessments are realistic- it's not fair on enyone otherwise.

17. Clearly that should be 15... I don't have 60 kids in my class!!

18. ok thanks for that info... it helps

19. do you use anything else to help assess them?