1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

All-women shortlists for parliamentary candidacy: Mayday4Women

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, May 2, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I think that most people accept these shortlists providing that they are used judiciously. However, some people seem to have the quaint notion that they should only be open to people who are women and they are prepared to cancel their party memberships over this issue:

Hundreds of women to quit Labour over transgender candidate row

'A draft resignation letter penned by Labour activist group Mayday4Women warns that its supporters “cannot continue to be in a party that takes women for granted”.

The letter, sent to The Times, continues: “We are dismayed at the Labour Party’s support for sex as a self-identified characteristic for all-women shortlists.

“We now face a situation in which any man can simply claim to be a woman and be included on all-women shortlists.

“Sex is not a self-defined characteristic and it is disingenuous for Labour to pretend that it is. Self-identity - ‘I am what I say I am’ - reeks of male authority and male supremacy.

“In contrast, women are rarely believed about the sexual violence we face or about harassment on the streets and domestic violence in the home. It is for that reason that we - alongside 300 other women - are resigning from the Labour Party today.”
    '
    TheWeek.co.uk, 1st May 2018.

@Mayday4Women on Twitter and Mayday4Women 2.0 on Facebook.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

No shortlists should automatically exclude a particular gender.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well I just voted... every candidate was male...

4. Vince_Ulam

Male supremacy rampant.

5. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I support the idea of positive discrimination, and that includes towards any under-represented minority who have a disadvantaged status in society. That seems to me to describe the LBGT community. These women are protesting unnecessarily, I feel. I mean, how many transgender candidates are we expecting?

Noja likes this.
  6. Vince_Ulam

On a women's shortlist one is too many.

woollani and border_walker like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So you subscribe to benevolent sexism?

woollani likes this.
  8. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

I agree with the author of the letter.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  9. MAGAorMIGA

A transgender woman is a woman. End of.

10. MAGAorMIGA

No, I subscribe to everyone being given a fair chance. That is not happening at the moment, due to male domination of the upper echelons of political parties, organisations, schools etc. To ignore the gross under-representation of 50% of the population in power roles is to endorse it.

Noja likes this.
  11. Vince_Ulam

No.

12. MAGAorMIGA

So what gender, in your view, is a transgender woman?

13. MAGAorMIGA

It's quite simple really. Power is unequally, unfairly and unjustly distributed in society. This leaves women with fewer rights and opportunities than men. This also applies to the LGBT community. Positive discrimination will enhance the legal and political status of women and LGBT people, which will improve their educational and career prospects. Without such positive discrimination, our already-skewed playing field will simply reinforce the existing social and political inequalities.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Laphroig and Noja like this.
  14. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

That is the debate which many women, and many others, dispute. There is a strong desire by many to shut down any debate on this with people saying the above.

Even fewer when men replace women in positions of power.

woollani and Vince_Ulam like this.
  15. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

Even fewer when men replace women in positions of power.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2018
    woollani and Vince_Ulam like this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So you don't think women can achieve a ''fair chance'' without excluding men?

Interesting... and there's a magic nonsense word ''representation''.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Have you not seen there is quite a discussion about this very issue?

Surprised anyone could be ignorant of it...

18. MAGAorMIGA

No they can't. Centuries of deep-set institutional prejudicial societal attitudes and assumptions sees to that.

19. MAGAorMIGA

I'm not ignorant of it, I just refuse to accept people's right to determine a person's gender for them.

20. Vince_Ulam

Your GP must have the patience of a saint.