1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

All those in Cairo

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jmlweeks, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Hello all,
    If possible could anyone give any information about living and working in Cairo. I have been looking at some International schools in Cairo and would like an updated idea of the good ones if possible. I lived in Bangkok for a year so am used to this kind of city so wonder if Cairo is simialr in anyway?
    Also I am currently studying my PGCE and want to know if it is possible tot get jobs as an NQT here, and what things would be good for my application...
    Thank you for any info....

2. Hello all,
    If possible could anyone give any information about living and working in Cairo. I have been looking at some International schools in Cairo and would like an updated idea of the good ones if possible. I lived in Bangkok for a year so am used to this kind of city so wonder if Cairo is simialr in anyway?
    Also I am currently studying my PGCE and want to know if it is possible tot get jobs as an NQT here, and what things would be good for my application...
    Thank you for any info....

3. speakers

speakers New commenter

Cairo for me was a great experience.

I was at the MESSY school. Enjoyed it very much. I, and many other, have posted about this many times so you could do a search.

As to getting a job as an NQT - good luck. The better schools in Cairo can afford to pay decent wages for the right staff and generally do. No disrespect intended but an NQT is a risk that schools in Cairo dont need to take.

My advice, for what it is worth, is to stay in the UK for a couple of years, get your NQT year out of the way, build up experience and get that all important reference. Cairo and all the other places will still be there in two years time. The top schools usually require/prefer at least 2 years experience anyway.

According to xe.com the pound is now getting 8.24 EGP. When I left in June 2007 it was around 11 EGP. This makes Cairo a fair bit more expensive to live in.

That said, you will still live very well on about £1300 a month although that would be towards the lower end of the pay scales.

Hope it helps

4. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Speakers sums it up well. I don't think any of the school have an NQT progam in place, so you need to be a serious self starter. Also good advice about the 2 years thing.

However, send off your CV and letter to the 6 or so best school, and if it is short, concise and interesting, you never know.

Good luck

5. That's right lad, finish your appenticeship with 'DFES and sons' first, and then we'll review your worth as a teacher. Hippo is right, only the most beautiful of the beautiful can work here, just look at me!

Your application will be weakened considerably if you do not finish your NQT status and you might find yourself working in one of Cairo's 'balady' schools!

Look me up when you do make it. You can't fail to miss me!

6. You look a bit 'bat for the other side', old boy. Is that rife at your place? I know life in Arabia is all about give and take. where do you lean to? I can still touch my toes (with straight legs), but tend to avoid this practice unless it is absolutely necessary...like keeping your job.

What does metaphorically mean?

7. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

I love that bit about Cairo and Bangkok are they similar and you are used to that kind of city. Really, really, funny. They could not be more different, the only similarity is the gridlock downtown, 'bigfatgit' and 'phoneypahroah' put this little lamb straight on a few things will you!!!!!

How is the Ace Club these days still good.

8. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Is that the Bahrain Mike McDonald? If so do you still speak to Pendergast?

9. Aimed at MikeMcDonald: Try being slightly more helpful than parading arrogance. If you know Cairo as well as you suggest you do, just tell people what you know about the city and give some constructive advice rather than being patronzing. I'm sure you weren't sure of what Cairo was like before you moved there, so just give advice not obnoxious remarks. People like myself actually want some info on Cairo not useless comments.

10. Nor entirely useless. At least the OP now knows that the two places are different. Bit of sarcasm on the site is also very welcome. Don't be so stiff lily.

Cairo is an historic and tightly packed tight rubbish tip. Trying to accurately describe the place on these threads is pointless; no matter how factual a picture one might draw, the one simple fact remains - people either like Cairo, or they don't, and you only find out when you are here. Lots of fleecing, fiddling and a massive lack of honesty are the traits of the place.

Recently, I have compared Cairo to European cities rather than its counterparts in the middle east. You can walk around the streets drinking beer!!! How's that for liberalism?

Off now. Just cracking another Stella.

11. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Percy, if you mean the Pendergast I think you do, he is now in Dubai running the Onionbag and DJ'ing on Dubai Radio 2 as well as commentating on football.

He left Bahrain a while ago.

12. Yes I'm sure people realise the places are different. Just cities further east are pretty dissimilar from those in the west in my experience, and I've been trawling around for a while now.
    Ok sorry for being stiff, just want some info on the place and have sifted through lots of info that is pretty useless. Obviously it wouldn't be the same as experiencing the place, but insights are helpful. Thanks for yours though.

13. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Hi Percy
    Yes it is, and yes I do, stopwatch has some of it right, he is not doing the Radio commentating anymore, he got cut from Dubai radio a while back. He is doing well with the onionbag and is doing some radio stuff for that team that is run by the fans in the UK, whose name escapes me. As well as teaching in Abu Dhabi, Ports is still there, as is Fozzie, at lesst they were last I heard.

Thanks to Foneypharoah for sticking up for me, not that I need it, lily needs to lighten up a little, and perhaps also learn how to do a search in a forum, if she bothered to search the posts she would find dozens on Cairo schools and life in Cairo from excellent posters like speakers bigfatgit and Foneypharoah.

14. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I heard him on the radio the other day in Dubai. Which channel is it he works with there?

15. Hi there! I'm working in Bangkok at the moment (in my 3rd year here) but before that I was in Cairo for three years - in answer to your question: no, it's really not very similar at all. Friends of mine who worked first in Bangkok and then went to Cairo REALLY disliked Cairo - that said, another friend of mine who worked in Cairo first and then moved to Bangkok far preferred the Middle East.
    I loved Cairo to bits, but I think it's fair to say that it's a much poorer country than Thailand - Thailand, afaic, isn't much of a case of culture shock. There are Starbucks and 7-Elevens everywhere, and lots of swanky malls, and shiny cars, and the skytrain, and the tube's like London's Jubilee Line Extension - it's all pretty swish. Cairo, on the other hand, is more like stepping out of the TARDIS. And it's brilliant, don't get me wrong - I loved the hell out of the place, and would go back again, but I think you'd get the most out of it if you were conscious of the fact that it's going to be very different indeed from life in the West. Particularly in terms of material goods, but just as much in terms of attitudes, philosophies and behaviour.
    With regard to both Egypt and Thailand, I think it's fair to mention that your experience of either country will be shaped to some extent by your gender, especially if you're single.
    As to whether you can get work in Cairo as an NQT - well, I did, fwiw, although in retrospect I think it would have been a better idea to get that NQT year under my belt in the UK first. YMMV.

16. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Don't waste time. If you truly wish to work overseas then go for it as soon as possible. I came here (Cairo) as an NQT and have never regretted leaving the UK. You can always return to the UK for your induction year if you feel the need.</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Cairo is an interesting place to be, it sort of reminds me of Liverpool during the 70's.</font>

17. Parts of it remind me of Berlin. Circa 1945!

18. speakers

speakers New commenter

I was under the impression that you had to complete your NQT year within 5 years of completing the PGCE. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Without the relevant bits of paper all stamped and signed off, you may be making things difficult for yourself at a later date.

19. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Oh dear. The old NQT (argument about whether or not to do your NQT year before buzzing off abroad) is still rumbling on, it seems. Well, of course Mainwaring and Invincible are right in saying that it pays to keep your options open and having your "induction year" under your belt would make it easier to return to Good Old Blighty, once you are fed up with sowing your wild oats in foreign fields or whatever. Yes, it is true that some youngsters are starry-eyed about the joys of teaching in international schools and pretty soon they start missing Mum's cooking, the telly and the boyfriend, so they want to go back to the U.K. and then it pays to have done your NQT year.

Having said that, there do seem to be quite a few international schools (not all of them of the dodgy variety) that do not seem so bothered about the NQT year. Remember that there are quite a few South African, American, Ozzie and Kiwi teachers (and I'll bet they have not done their NQT year in a school in the U.K.) Quite a lot of international schools are very keen on teachers who have IB experience (and having done your NQT thing is not a substute for that). As many of our students in the world of international education do not have English as their first language, how about forgetting about the "induction year" and going off and doing a CELTA instead? At this point, Mainwaring will no doubt accuse me of being terribly irresponsible...

20. I believe you are wrong. There is no time limit to when you can begin your induction (NQT) 'year' however once started it has to be completed within a certain time period.

It would be wise for people in this situation to check out exactly where they stand by looking at the relevant government websites (I started with the TTA site) or even better, telephoning them for advice.