1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

All that extra stuff

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Purdster, May 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything New commenter

I work in a 40/60 job share, where I work 2 days a week and my partner 3 days. Planning is split 50/50, and I am expected to mark 50% of tests, write 50% of reports, attend 100% of parents' evenings (even on days I don't work, unpaid), plus run a club a week the same as full-time members of staff. In short, I feel I get paid for 40% and do well over 50% of the work. I struggle to find the time to do all this stuff as I have another job as well.
    When I question it with management, I am made to feel that I am being difficult and I'm told, 'That's the way we've always done things'.
    I'd love to hear others' opinions on this - is this just a hazard of job-sharing and should I just put up and shut up?

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

If you are covered by STPCD, then you do NOT have to work on your day off.

51.9. Subject to paragraph 51.10, no teacher employed part-time may be required to be available for work on any day of the week or part of any day of the week on which the teacher is not normally required to be available for work under their contract of employment (whether it is for the purposes of teaching pupils and performing other duties or for the sole purpose of performing other duties).

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You don't need to attend parents' evenings which are on days you do not work. If you were the only teacher of a group (happens in secondary) this might be a problem (and you might need to make alternative contact with parents), but if it's job-share then whoever works that day does the parents' evening on behalf of both of you.

For all the non-teaching stuff, your directed hours are 40% of 1265, so you need to check how that adds up. It isn't 40% of each thing, so it might be that you do no parents' evenings but most staff meetings, or a club but no playground duty. If your total directed hours are over 506, something needs to go, so you have a discussion about whether it's the club, some of the meetings, or what.

As for things like planning, marking and reports, which don't come under directed time, it seems reasonable for these to be distributed proportionally. Perhaps you should ask whether it would still be 50/50 split if you only worked one day, and whether if you were able to go up to 3 days you could still rely on only having to do 50% - just to point out that their system doesn't make sense. Again, it needn't be 40% split of every individual thing, just equitable overall.

4. Abitofeverything

Thank you - I know you are right, but when you're in the situation it's so hard to challenge continuously without looking like a trouble maker. They seem to think that part-time means you're sitting around twiddling your thumbs waiting to be asked to do more school stuff...
    The culture of the school is very much, we'll do absolutely everything possible to make this a better school, but without any thought to the wellbeing or outside life of the teacher.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Perhaps take the initiative for next year. Before anyone starts talking about 50% of reports, 50% of planning, etc, come up with your own ideas that adjust the balance: eg "I wondered whether this year we could split the planning by subject, and each write the parts of the reports for those subjects." Then suggest a split for the subjects that plays to each of your strengths, but gives you a smaller proportion. Similarly with other bits: between us we ought to be doing one club and n playground duties; how about we split it like this? If you can manage to get your partner onside with a more equitable split, and between you you're covering the same as a full-timer, hopefully there can be no argument.

6. Abitofeverything

Thanks for your ideas!
    I think my post is also me thinking a lot about the endless expectations placed on teachers, both full-time and part-time. It never seems to be enough, and we never seem to get thanked (or renumerated) when we do go over and above. I think this must be a key reason for people leaving the profession.

7. AcreWood100

AcreWood100 New commenter

Just reading your post and it’s really given me food for thought - I couldn’t work out why I’m finding it hard after coming back part time... I think all of the above has an impact.

8. Abitofeverything

Hi AcreWood, I don't know about you but I also find the reduction in relationship with the children and parents harder than I thought I would. When I taught full-time, I loved the strong relationship with the families in the school. Now I sometimes feel a bit like a glorified supply teacher - by the time I come back, they've almost forgotten who I am!