1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

All teachers will work Saturday mornings soon, then Sunday have longer days and shorter holidays ...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher New commenter

A school I worked in had after school revision sessions for year 11s. These were compulsory for students to attend, but, due to being on the limits of directed time as it was, were voluntary for staff to attend. We never were quite sure how that worked...

I remember asking one student to leave . He had arrived late , as high as a kite, with one thing on his agenda - to continue to disrupt this session as he did lessons. I reported the incident to leadership, as we had been told to do. Gawd, did I get a a rollicking...you know, the usual...your session wasn't interesting enough and all that... At the time, i was doing 3 voluntary sessions after school to help students with their practical CAT (d&t). I pointed this out and muttered something about maybe i was doing too many... No support or acknowledgement given. The student was excluded the following day however, for disrupting, er, the leadership team members lesson. I refrained from comment...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Yoda-, drek and JohnJCazorla like this.
  2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Victim blaming much?

tonymars likes this.
  3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Well done Ridley! Part of the problem is the bloody nonsense teachers are told about always focusing on the positive when speaking to parents. If their kid is a little b*****d then I've no problem saying so. When I was teaching in Milan I can remember telling an American father, in front of his son, exactly what the boy was like. I could see from the look on his face that there was going to be a reckoning when he got the boy home. Your "her", however is telling because all too often we only see the mothers who, also all too often, let their sons get away with murder.

HS9981, South Korea and other Asian countries clearly demonstrate how, in stark contrast to the UK, they highly value education. To use your own words, if most people in this country valued education then, in all likelihood, we wouldn't have the **** poor teaching that is common in our state schools.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  4. David Getling

Better victim blaming, than a victim culture. Nobody likes a grovelling coward.

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Putting yourself first is the best thing a teacher can do for their students. Students deserve to be taught by motivated, fresh, well rested and inspiring teachers not the run-ragged, harassed and stressed.

JohnJCazorla, blazer, Moony and 2 others like this.
  6. David Getling

Time and time again, and throughout industry, not just schools, research has indicated that overworking staff is counter productive. This finding has been cited by high profile and respected organisations for decades. But most management is like the fool who sees an E-type for sale at a ludicrously low price and convinces himself that he has found a terrific bargain. All that rust is just on the surface, to be quickly removed with a damp cloth, and the car just happens to be parked over that large puddle of oil.

People, and governments and managers in particular, are great at believing what they want to believe, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Just look at how the NHS is being allowed to go down the toilet, faster than a flushed turd.

7. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

So you will just set up shop as a different source of bullying then? Must be lovely to be you....

8. hs9981

hs9981 Occasional commenter

Before the introduction of the new maths GSCE in the UK, I gave a higher paper to a Korean elementary school teacher to look at. They said they covered everything on the paper with grade 6 (around UK yr 7)! (AND MORE)

9. tigerbright

tigerbright New commenter

Have to agree with you David. In my previous business life, you stood up for your rights and 'held no prisoners.' If only all teachers would unite and say 'NO' then there's not a lot senior management or DfE could do.

Compassman likes this.
  10. binaryhex

binaryhex Senior commenter

Saying No is all but impossible when the Unions are like fluffy little pussys, who like their tummys being rubbed; Pension benefits curtailed. Real earnings for all but SLT slashed over the last 5 years. Pay progression a thing of the past. Older teachers booted out to be replaced with cheap youngsters and the youngest workforce in history. Professional standards for new highly qualified teachers all but disappeared. Still horrendous workload issues; Introduction of evening and weekend work. And on the list grows.

Not exactly highlighting the Unions' great successes, is it? They are all a pointless excuse for toilet paper. Most people are only members so they have some support if accussed of something by a pupil, and even that support most teachers find out when it happens is woeful.

11. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Who's tickling the Unions' tummies? More like being kicked when down.
    It does beg the question, "If you see it how it is and what needs to be done, could you organise the staff at your school to act?"
    Thought not

The problem is that the 2 quotes I selected virtually contradict each other. Teachers Unions were strong once but the apathy of the members means that no insult/workload/initiative is going to be so bad that a significant number of teachers will act. The Trade Union laws have merely aggravated this problem not caused it.

Oscillatingass and Compassman like this.
  12. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Lead commenter

The Unions are what they are because of their members - of because of those who don't/didn't bother to join either because they didn't want to spend the money, didn't think they'd ever need a union or didn't want to be associated with the unions.
    The "I'm alright jack" attitude of too many teachers is what's made the unions what they are.

13. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Established commenter

At the very least the union reps in schools should be going to their county meetings. I often saw the same reps. but certainly not anywhere near all the reps. and very few had business that their members had given them. If you are in a union use them and support your rep. We are where we are because this does not happen and I know being a rep. is a dangerous job. Joining a union makes it more effective.

14. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Most teachers lack moral fibre.

Compassman likes this.
  15. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

Almost all comments spot on, but

Getling: "most teachers have less spine than a jellyfish." This is out of line. Those who are contracted to do 'interventions' i.e. who work in academies, and those who don't but are pressurised, don't actually have a choice and in many cases the mortgage has to be paid.

Binaryhex: unions are like fluffy little pussys.
    :p

Maybe. I had great hopes when the NEU was formed, but I'm not aware of any sigmificant change. Is anyone?

16. schoolsout4summer

Supply teacher. I arrived at one of my regular Primary schools yesterday at 7.45 am. A pre SATs Maths booster lesson was well under way. This apparently started at 7.30.
    I forgot to enquire how often this happened.

17. schoolsout4summer

Maybe. I had great hopes when the NEU was formed, but I'm not aware of any sigmificant change. Is anyone?[/QUOTE]

We can live in hope, but I wouldn't bet my shirt on it.

18. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

A question for the mathematically minded. If the system of assessment is norm referenced and the system of accountability dependent on the notion of a mean, does this mean a viable PiXL endorsed method of gaming the system is to introduce extra teaching?

Imagine it was basketball hoop shooting. All the children are in teams shooting hoops and then they are divided into outcome bands which are then used to grade the team. But then one team discovers that if you spend more time shooting hoops then you shoot more than others simply by virtue of more time spent, but that this accentuates your team's place in the norm referenced outcome and team ranking system.

To be fair, it is no different to finding that the parents of one team of rather affluent young players have hired external coaches who also do hoop shooting with them. The team manager then rather unfairly garners plaudits and an enormous salary claiming his team teaching is superior when it is actually a conflation of his teaching and that of the private coaches hired by the parents of his team members.

When you have a norm referenced system linked to an accountability system pitching all schools against each other you set the system up for cheating. Take away the GCSEs and the systems and watch the gaming disappear to be replaced by decent teaching in normal hours.

JohnJCazorla and Stiltskin like this.
  19. David Getling

You sound a bit like one of those who stood up at Nuremberg with the I was just following orders excuse. The spineless are always good at finding reasons to justify their cowardice.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  20. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Established commenter

I agree it would be nice to get rid of the comparative measures. But what would be a good system that would allow the government to monitor the quality of teaching whilst at the same time taking into account the huge variables that are faced by schools?