1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

All teachers will work Saturday mornings soon, then Sunday have longer days and shorter holidays ...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Initiatives like Saturday lessons and after school revision lessons tend to be introduced by Headteachers and their senior management teams. It enables them to claim they have done something to improve results, even if they aren't even sometimes on the premises when these extra sessions occur.

Unfortunately these initiatives rarely seem to be reviewed. They are harder to stop than start for political reasons. The staff delivering them are often put under different types of pressure to carry them out.

The suggestion I would make is to never start doing them. Some people say they will for an additional payment (that can have the same effect).

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You're absolutely right about these extra wretched 'catch up' or 'revision' sessions. Many students simply don't bother in normal lessons because they know that the teacher will be doing the catch up sessions later.

Another issue is that some students can't be bothered to do the proper lesson in which a concept or idea will be developed through a meaningful activity when the key learning point to the lesson can be just told to them in the catch up sessions. In our current educational system passing exams is the ONLY priority so if they can get the information they need by simply being told it, why waste time paying attention in lessons where these ideas are being developed with activities or discussion? In many ways, the priority of getting good results contributes to poorer focus in normal lessons.

fineliner, strawbs and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Yeah, in panic!

Yoda- likes this.
  4. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@phlogiston: A new sport for the head-bangers, messing up the swats' revision sessions! I have had something similar, when lazy SMT dump their detainees at the back of the class, during after school sessions. Shows how much our SMT valued these sessions.

I used to work with someone who had done VSO, in Africa. When these after-school sessions, (or 'Twilight Curriculum', as our SMT called it) were imposed, she said, "You know where this will end up, don't you? Hot-seating!" Now that would help relieve the 'so called' shortage of teachers, and save a whole pile of cash at the same time. Teach one half of the students during the morning, and the other half in the afternoon. Imagine that! Ten hours teaching, twice the number of lessons to plan, and books to mark.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    emerald52 likes this.
  5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Thanks for sharing this little gem. Whenever I think I know all the unethical and reprehensible tricks that SLT get up to something like this pops up.

So, basically, what we have is SLT coercing those who, unlike them, do the teaching and real work in a school into giving up their free time after school. BUT then, in order to preserve their own free time, they screw up the extra lessons by dumping the bad kids they should be looking after on a proper teacher and decent students. Nice one!

BetterNow likes this.
  6. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Teachers' standard terms and conditions explicitly state that teachers can't be asked to work on Saturday or Sunday, so presumably this will only happen in academies and independent schools. There are still some LA secondary schools in my area of the country, but they're getting more difficult to avoid.

tonymars, Yoda- and emerald52 like this.
  7. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

We already work Saturday mornings (independent school).

8. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

Yes, that was the reasoning of our numpty Ass. Heads used at one my last schools for trying to introduce extra hours. 'They get great results so we should try to emulate them as much as possible'
    He wasn't too pleased when we pointed out that the local schools he used in his examples also had at least 16 weeks holiday ( one had 19 weeks) and most of them used Saturday morning working for sports or cadet work.
    So we said yes we'll do Saturday mornings if we also get the much longer holidays It didn't go down very well and yet again there was a long diatribe about putting ourselves first; lack of commitment etc

9. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Incorrect. Teachers can be asked which means lots of willing volunteers will be found by SLT. We all know that there will be no coercion involved at all.

10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@David Getling: That is exactly what some members of our SMT used to do: increase our hours and workload in order to reduce their own. As lip service to, "I teach myself, so we are all in this together," some of the lesser circle of our SMT had 'notional' (note the word there!) timetables, of a few lessons each week, which almost all of them dumped on the rest of us. If you had a 'free' period at the same time one of these SMT members was timetabled to teach, you were guaranteed to have it dumped on you. Sometimes, this would be done at the last minute. Little notes, which we called 'The Black Spot', would be brought round to your the room in which you were teaching, saying something like, 'You will have to take my class, as I am waiting for an important phone call. The students know what they were doing.' This latter was a euphemism for, 'I haven't set any cover work, so you will have to wing it'.

@pair_of_argyles: Our SMT had the same propensity to 'magical thinking'. "If Eton and Harrow does it and gets good results, then if we do it, we should get the same." The subtext of this being, "If we don't, we'll know whom to blame, wont we?"

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  11. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

This is what it says: "No teacher may be required to work on any Saturday, Sunday or public holiday unless their contract of employment expressly provides for this (for example in the case of teachers at residential establishments)."

Surely if the classes exist, then there's a requirement for them to be staffed?

12. JohnJCazorla

I worded my point badly. Teachers can (and worse still do) volunteer for pretty much anything. Your quote means that a teacher can dig their heels in and refuse to do it.

Easy to say, not so easy when put on the spot by some smart-suited SLT who is busy pointing out that Every Other Teacher has Volunteered and your petty refusal will jeopardise the education of every child in the school. That's a best-case scenario, the C-word is reserved for those who clearly do not fit in with the school ethos.

Yoda-, corgie11 and BetterNow like this.
  13. drek

drek Lead commenter

So far the schools I’ve worked in paid for Saturday sessions. To volunteers.

Volunteers have been from TLR ranks who teach fewer hours during the week so perhaps they have some energy left over for Saturday and was a way of keeping their TLR I.e they had no choice.....

Anyone teaching a 100 percent time table was usually on their knees by the weekend. No volunteers from this rank.

If they try forcing this through as performance development....forget shortages.....more like mass exodus.

14. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Lead commenter

And there will be plenty of needy silly beggars volunteering thinking it might help with their PM or promotion hopes. This of course makes it harder for others to refuse. It makes me delighted I am out of it all.

BetterNow likes this.
  15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Those staff coerced into teaching on a Saturday morning should sign themselves off sick on the day before (or Monday after...;)) If enough did, the system might well collapse.

16. JohnJCazorla

Coerced, absolutely not, all volunteered.
    No point in throwing sickies if there are plenty to step in your place. In the absence of collective action (unions) then it will take a lot of individual sacrifices for this to be derailed.

tonymars likes this.
  17. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Lead commenter

The irony being, that if the members actually supported their union Saturday morning working would have been given short shrift some time ago.

tonymars and JohnJCazorla like this.
  18. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Every time a teacher does a Saturday or holiday lesson for free they let their colleagues down.

It's also not professional.

tonymars, blazer and BetterNow like this.
  19. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Occasional commenter

Ahh but when I did that I had parental complaint that I was ruining little Johnies changes for his GCSE. I told her I was not prepared to have someone who does little work and is disruptive in lessons come to a revision session and be disruptive when I am giving my own time for free it is not a catch up session for work not done in class. Those are called detentions.

20. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Saturday (morning) lessons used to be held in schools across South Korea, up until a few years ago. They used to be done on every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month.

The government scrapped the rule a few years ago, leaving teachers to have 4 Saturdays off a month. South Korean education 'standards' remain in the top 1-3 in most rankings every year. Tell that to SLT.

(There is no need to mention to SLT) that this is due largely to the huge business that is 'hagwons' (after school private tuition) that makes up for SOME of the **** poor teaching that sometimes happens here, in state schools..........