1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

All teachers will work Saturday mornings soon, then Sunday have longer days and shorter holidays ...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Jan 21, 2018.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

2. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Well let's hope that enough teachers leave, either through walking out or being carried out that this idea becomes unworkable.

I never thought I'd wish for such devastation to be visited on teachers but I really can't see how anything else will stop it. Unions haven't got the willing membership and I bet even this won't grow any backbones where it counts.

tonymars, bajan and BetterNow like this.
  4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

It's really aggravating to discover AGAIN that the lazy so-and-so's are still not capable of doing the necessary work in timetabled lessons in the first place.

5. bonxie

bonxie Established commenter

If they want to keep their current staff and avoid them burning out, they're going to have to employ extra teachers to plan/teach/mark the extra lessons. Without a significant budget increase for each school, I can't see this happening though. I expect that the current staff are already looking for new jobs elsewhere. Rapid staff turnover will ensue.

tonymars, BetterNow and Shedman like this.
  6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've worked in two schools over the last 10 years where Saturday and bank holiday lessons were expected. I left one because of it

BetterNow and Shedman like this.
  7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If they were independent schools, then they would have longer holidays to compensate (esp. in the summer - 2 good months is not unusual).

But normal state schools (whether academies, free schools or whatever) who simply lengthen the school day, then the school week, then the school term are taking the proverbial.o_O

The long holidays esp. were a major reason I became a teacher...wonder how many of the next generation want to work 6 day weeks with shorter holidays for the salaries now on offer ;)

tonymars, BetterNow and Shedman like this.
  8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I agree with @JohnJCazorla. All these 'extra lessons' devalues the worth of regular, timetabled lessons. How many times have you heard a students 'excuse' their laziness in lessons by saying, "It doesn't matter. I'll go to revision classes." The other message it sends out is that some subject curricula are too packed with content to be deliverable in the time allowed.

Not only the teachers but the students will 'burn out', too. Unmotivated students will not improve by larger doses of what they do not want to do. The same goes for well-motivated students, as well. When I was at Uni, we often had eight lectures in a day, and by mid afternoon, most of what I heard went in one ear and out of the other.

@FrankWolley: Mr Squeers advertised that one of the advantages of 'Dotheboys Hall' was that there were no holidays. Longer hours and six-day working, like raising the age of compulsory education to eighteen, is just a way of 'getting them off the streets' at minimal expense

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

both state schools. actually both LEA

10. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

If this happens it will serve teachers right for not having the guts to say NO! Most teachers have less spine than a jellyfish. When a bully starts throwing his weight around instead of standing up to him they cower, gibbering in a corner hoping that his fist will land on someone else.

Yet again, need I remind everyone of the idiots in F.E. colleges who threw away their school holidays. Ostensibly it was for a nice pay rise, but any fool could have seen that smaller pay rises in future years would ensure that they had given up their holidays for nothing. This is a perfect example of what happens when you are spineless.

When I worked in the City, which doesn't have a reputation for taking prisoners I remember my boss on the phone to a dealer. The conversation went something like this: if you want that done today you've got to let me know very quickly, because come 5:00 pm David is out the door and there's nothing I can do to stop him. I've always stood up for my rights, and to bullies, which is why so many in schools hate me with a passion.

tigerbright likes this.
  11. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Agreed, the whole idea seems to go against everything we know about effective learning.

Edited to add: And against the well being of the children. Let them be children - even the teenagers!!!

BetterNow likes this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Ofsted need more of a nudge to actually DO something about workload.

They now have a voluntary staff questionnaire at inspections (WOW!)

Obviously, were Ofsted to take a dim view of places overworking teachers and contributing to the retention probelm things might change.

However, they won't do anything.

BetterNow and JohnJCazorla like this.
  13. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Progress seen in 20 minutes during observation should mean the typical school day is plenty of time to learn what is needed for a gcse exam. We spend too much time mollycoddling kids, if they get behind then they need to do the work to catch-up.
    On another note too much time is wasted on low level disruption, time out of lesson doing enrichment activities, intervention and such like. There are plenty of things that could be done first to make the learning experience more efficient.

lizziescat, tonymars and BetterNow like this.
  14. Jolly_Roger1

At TTC, we were once lectured for an hour and a half about 'effective attention span', during which we were told that even intelligent, well-motivated students can only concentrate for forty minutes.

15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

In which case they were exploiting you.

BetterNow likes this.
  16. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

imagine a graduate with a good degree in a shortage subject considering teaching; £23k starting salary; constant scrutiny and stress, poor behaviour; blame culture and and an extra half day of work on a Saturday morning...no thanks. Nobody is that much of a masochist.

tonymars, BetterNow, XTrapnel and 2 others like this.
  17. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

The bit I have highlighted is key. If poor behaviour can be addressed there will be much more learning going on, which will negate the need for extra lessons etc. It might even meant the admin side of things is less onerous as we'll be able to focus on other things more effectively.

lizziescat and tonymars like this.
  18. Jolly_Roger1

When we had after-school revision sessions, the poorly behaved, unmotivated students did not bother to come to them, which defeated the object of running them. What it did show is how much better classes could be, and how much more learning went on, without the constant disruption caused by poor behaviour.

19. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

Pupils now think the only important lessons are the after school revision sessions and think it's ok to do very little in normal lessons. Over the past 3 years I've been on long term placements in 5 schools and seen this attitude on a regular basis.

I certainly don't do after school, holiday or Saturday sessions. I wouldn't even if I were paid.

tonymars, strawbs and BetterNow like this.
  20. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I remember one moderately disastrous after school session being ruined by someone else's aggressive idler coming along to mess things up. It was one of the few times I've chucked someone out of an after school session.

tonymars and Shedman like this.