1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

All schools to become academies - official.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ROSIEGIRL, Mar 15, 2016.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If this is true?

I have grandchildren in this system.

I might just as well slit my wrists now.

InkyP and Shedman like this.
  3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I'm sooo glad I don't live in England.

catmother likes this.
  5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

I'm so glad I'm retiring!

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So once all schools are Academies what will be their excuse then for underperforming schools?

Because we've had 9-10 years of this **** and it hasn't made much of a difference.

8. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

They won't need excuses then. The job will have been done.

Schools will exist purely as a channel for public funds into private pockets.

emerald52, delnon, racroesus and 9 others like this.
  9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

This government can't make up its mind.
    Schools should be free from government control.
    Schools must teach children to use fronted adverbials :)eek:) to ensure their writing is up to standard.

Oh well, I'm sure we need a generation where the brightest write like a tortured Dickens and the rest gibber quietly to themselves because they don't understand what fronted adverbial is.

chelsea2, cissy3 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  10. wanet

wanet Star commenter

If Academies can follow their own curriculu, then there will be no need for any goverment interference?

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You'd think that...

Anonymity, delnon and Middlemarch like this.
  12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Freedom from control would mean the demise of Ofsted surely? And maybe the DFE (or whatever silly name it has now)? And the Minister?

delnon and BelleDuJour like this.
  13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Which could be good or very bad, some might take the money for baby siting.

14. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

What do you mean it hasn't made a difference, our local school has gone from 'outstanding' to 'good' in just five years; I'm confident, with all the changes it, will be in special measures before the end of the decade...

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Au contraire! Rather than leftie councils and public sector employees getting the money, the Tory supporting private sector has taken advantage and some have been able to receive much greater salaries than was ever possible before - completely necessary of course to get the absolute best people you understand.

It is ideologically driven, it always was, if you were opposed you were demonized by the big boss, you were the "blob" or so said old blobfish Gove.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sorry... I meant a difference in terms of pupil education...

Silly me.

17. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Not really a surprise.:(

18. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

19. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Some people on here voted for this shower.

20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

'Academy chains are expected to be given new incentives to take on failing schools, under plans for a 100 per cent academised system due to be announced by ministers this week.'

Hmm - I wonder what incentives they might be???

'A source told TES that the proposals would “make it easier for schools to go into chains”'

Too right!

'A commitment to making an all state-funded schools, independent of local authority control, is expected to be announced by chancellor George Osborne in tomorrow’s budget speech; alongside funding to support the change.'

So there's no funding for teachers who haven't had a pay rise for years, nor to build new schools where they're needed, nor to help provide education for the thousands of extra pupils coming through the system. However, money is available for structural change which has no proven benefit.

delnon, cissy3, guinnesspuss and 2 others like this.