1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

All over for me

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by MisterFlibble, Jan 10, 2012.

1. As of the end of January I'll be a "was-a-supply-teacher."
    Was planning and hoping to work much closer to when the baby's due - however, having had a grand total of two half days and a full day of supply since September, having had one agency kick me off their books because the other one won't provide a reference (and my other referee I'd use is dead), and the other agency only contact me to bully me to work for free - I cannot economically justify the costs of putting the rustbucket car I use to run around to supply bookings through the week through its MOT, tax and reinsurance... so it's time to throw in the towel and admit it's all over.
    I've survived longer than a lot - managed to withstand rate squeezes and cover supervisor wages all of last year, managed to keep going with schools requesting me by name until now - however I find it highly, highly suspicious that a new consultant comes into the agency - asks me to do freebie bookings, which I politely refuse (since I'm not prepared to set the preceedent for other teachers to be expected to do the same) - and then suddenly, literally overnight - the work dries up. Going from being one of the teachers sent out to new schools because they knew I'd secure the repeat business, to one that we don't touch unless we absolutely have to - overnight?! Pardon my cynicism there - but I've been in this game long enough to know that any agency is only as good as the consultant working your desk - and that this new girl dislikes me and was determined to block me because of my refusal to work for free.
    Thankfully - the demand for private tutoring is insane around here - and that can pick up enough of the slack for us to just about survive... I'll miss supply, heck - I miss the days when the banter on here was to do with actual teaching and not just hanging on by fingernails for survival, but I won't miss having to be polite to agency consultants doing the "Hiiiiiii how are you today" when they obviously really don't care, or being pinned down on my every movements in case there's some profit they can jack of another agency, and I won't miss standing outside a school at 8am praying someone wanders by the front door and hears me ringing the doorbell trying to get in - or those schools that openly resent your existence and use you as a scapegoat... I'll miss the ones where I get a name other than "The Supply" and of course I'll miss 99% of the kids!
    If it's any consolation - my mum ran into dear Mr Balls (for let us not forget while the Tories added to the messed up situation, Labour had the grand idea in the first place) at a function fairly recently and was exceedingly rude to the man, throwing in the parting line of "my daughter's a supply teacher - no thanks to YOU!"

2. As of the end of January I'll be a "was-a-supply-teacher."
    Was planning and hoping to work much closer to when the baby's due - however, having had a grand total of two half days and a full day of supply since September, having had one agency kick me off their books because the other one won't provide a reference (and my other referee I'd use is dead), and the other agency only contact me to bully me to work for free - I cannot economically justify the costs of putting the rustbucket car I use to run around to supply bookings through the week through its MOT, tax and reinsurance... so it's time to throw in the towel and admit it's all over.
    I've survived longer than a lot - managed to withstand rate squeezes and cover supervisor wages all of last year, managed to keep going with schools requesting me by name until now - however I find it highly, highly suspicious that a new consultant comes into the agency - asks me to do freebie bookings, which I politely refuse (since I'm not prepared to set the preceedent for other teachers to be expected to do the same) - and then suddenly, literally overnight - the work dries up. Going from being one of the teachers sent out to new schools because they knew I'd secure the repeat business, to one that we don't touch unless we absolutely have to - overnight?! Pardon my cynicism there - but I've been in this game long enough to know that any agency is only as good as the consultant working your desk - and that this new girl dislikes me and was determined to block me because of my refusal to work for free.
    Thankfully - the demand for private tutoring is insane around here - and that can pick up enough of the slack for us to just about survive... I'll miss supply, heck - I miss the days when the banter on here was to do with actual teaching and not just hanging on by fingernails for survival, but I won't miss having to be polite to agency consultants doing the "Hiiiiiii how are you today" when they obviously really don't care, or being pinned down on my every movements in case there's some profit they can jack of another agency, and I won't miss standing outside a school at 8am praying someone wanders by the front door and hears me ringing the doorbell trying to get in - or those schools that openly resent your existence and use you as a scapegoat... I'll miss the ones where I get a name other than "The Supply" and of course I'll miss 99% of the kids!
    If it's any consolation - my mum ran into dear Mr Balls (for let us not forget while the Tories added to the messed up situation, Labour had the grand idea in the first place) at a function fairly recently and was exceedingly rude to the man, throwing in the parting line of "my daughter's a supply teacher - no thanks to YOU!"

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

[​IMG]Boo Hoo MisterFibble we cry with you.
    [​IMG]That you kept going as long as you did <u>and</u> very successfully!
    However, you do have a 'much awaited event' to prepare for for which I wish you the very best fot that little bundle which will help 'create future work for teachers!'

4. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

If I had bumped into balls I would have ripped his leg off and beaten him to death with it.

5. She should have said, "My daughter's an EX-supply teacher - no thanks to YOU!" Labour put teachers on a par with Cover Supervisors & Classroom Assistants etc. No disrespect to Classroom Assistants of course. I don't see unemployed Doctors in the Job Centre, due to Practice Nurses doing their jobs, do you?

6. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

ThIS is so very, very sad. My current position reflects your experience in the past - daily work, being asked for by name, going into new schools to secure bookings etc - and to be perfectly honest, i have wondered recently (with a feeling of panic) what would happen should my consultant leave. Would I still get the work then? I wish you nothing but the best xxx

7. WORK FOR FREE??????????? COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY UNACCEPTABLE!
    Tell the dimwit, disrespectful, morally corrupt, self-styled agency "consultant" to jump off BEACHY HEAD I.E. kill herself/himself or itself. Stupid virus![​IMG]

8. "The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Regulations 2003"
    There might be something in this document relevant to what so many agencies are doing at the moment/

9. "So who covers for teacher absence in your school". Every pupil , parent and member of staff is entitled to know what the school's cover policy is: ie who covers for teacher absence?
    Imparting this knowledge is included as a requirement of all aschools but has anybody ever seen any sort of reference to a cover policy document on a school web site? I know that I haven't and I have examined multiple web sites.
    But do not just ask the question "Who covers for absent teachers?" Also ask the question "Who teaches during the class teacher's PPA time?" Do not accept the school's assetion that the questions are one and the same because they are not.
    Cover only occurs when a teacher normally timetabled to teach a class is absent for any reaspon and teacher absence is defined as being any occasion when a teacher timetabled to teach a class is unable to do so for any reason. During PPA time a teacher is not timetabled to teach and therefore cannot be classed as absent and so cover is not involved.

10. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

so the moral behind this seems to be dont work, dont save ,have kids & you too can have income of &pound;300-500.& let people like stressed out teachers (especially supply) pay for it all.

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You don't need a continuous record of NI in any given tax year.
    When I was being trained at the Jobcentre we were told that there had been claimants in the past who worked for as little as one week per year and built up entitlement to JSA Contributory for future claim years. An IT consultant might be taken on by a firm for one week or so to sort out an issue and be highly paid for the work, earning enough to pay sufficient NI to be able to later claim JSA even if they didn't get any more work.
    Even with supply teaching being less available, those employed by agencies (and thus paid less) may at least get enough work to safeguard their future claims for JSA

12. Definitely all over for me - last day's work booked for next week (morning in a lovely school with a lovely class of kids), car going to the scrapyard at the weekend... and tonight an email from my good consultant saying goodbye that he's moving on and as of next week we're fully at the mercies of madam "work for free" who epitomises every single bit of agency smarm going.
    Just shows I made the right decision in deciding not to keep the car going and keep working.

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Are there are schools near you that you reach by walking or a short bus trip? If so, you could send them your CV and try to pick up some work. Soem schools will take teachers on as casual workers, with CRB sorted via the LA and proper pay as and when used.