1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

All our eggs in one basket?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by escapeagain, Mar 14, 2012.

  1. I guess there are many similar posts out there this time of year, but it is getting closer to notice date and I am unsure as to how to deal with this.

    Husband and I (teaching couple) applied to our dream school back in December. Heard back straight away from Head saying she was very keen to interview us in the new year. As this was on Boxing Day we exchanged greeting and left it at that. In January we made contact again, as there was an offer in the table from a different school in a different country and asked if we could at least have the SKype interview she had initially suggested we would have.

    We had two of those, arranged by the Head and her secretary and we were then invited out for a face-to-face interview that really did not feel like an interview at all. They spent a lot of time showing us the school, introducing us to teachers and other staff and generally spending time with us. At the end they said they could see us fitting in v nicely with their team, proposed the positions we would offer us and said they would let us know (once the notice period had passed for them!) We talked about salaries, accommodation and paper work too.

    A week later and I emailed with a polite letter to see if we were still being considered. She emailed me back straight away to confirm her intention and assure me that all she was expecting was the official notice from the staff, which she knew from informal conversations were leaving. She closed by saying she would be in touch with our letters of engagement.

    A week on... and we have not heard anything. The notice deadline was Monday (ok, hardly a lifetime away) and I am starting to worry. My husband, who's generally more patient and laid back is suggesting that they will contact us in time. I am however wondering if my time is better spent applying to other schools, as opposed to looking for flats in our chosen location....

    Can I contact them again without looking like I am overly pushy/impatient? I have two more weeks in order to hand in my notice and I want to know that there is a job to go to before I do so...
     
  2. I guess there are many similar posts out there this time of year, but it is getting closer to notice date and I am unsure as to how to deal with this.

    Husband and I (teaching couple) applied to our dream school back in December. Heard back straight away from Head saying she was very keen to interview us in the new year. As this was on Boxing Day we exchanged greeting and left it at that. In January we made contact again, as there was an offer in the table from a different school in a different country and asked if we could at least have the SKype interview she had initially suggested we would have.

    We had two of those, arranged by the Head and her secretary and we were then invited out for a face-to-face interview that really did not feel like an interview at all. They spent a lot of time showing us the school, introducing us to teachers and other staff and generally spending time with us. At the end they said they could see us fitting in v nicely with their team, proposed the positions we would offer us and said they would let us know (once the notice period had passed for them!) We talked about salaries, accommodation and paper work too.

    A week later and I emailed with a polite letter to see if we were still being considered. She emailed me back straight away to confirm her intention and assure me that all she was expecting was the official notice from the staff, which she knew from informal conversations were leaving. She closed by saying she would be in touch with our letters of engagement.

    A week on... and we have not heard anything. The notice deadline was Monday (ok, hardly a lifetime away) and I am starting to worry. My husband, who's generally more patient and laid back is suggesting that they will contact us in time. I am however wondering if my time is better spent applying to other schools, as opposed to looking for flats in our chosen location....

    Can I contact them again without looking like I am overly pushy/impatient? I have two more weeks in order to hand in my notice and I want to know that there is a job to go to before I do so...
     
  3. sorry to be of no help whatsoever, I know a few people in the waiting game and generally the women are the ones fretting. Whereabouts in the world are your jobs?
     
  4. I'm mainly with your husband on this. You still have two weeks to hand in your notice, some people get a lot closer than that. I would still be applying to other suitable opportunities though, as this is not yet in your hands. I presume you have CV and basic letters of application, so it shouldn't be too much work to send off some more.
     
  5. Diddysan

    Diddysan New commenter

    I feel your pain...... I have an offer on the table right now, but am waiting to hear from two other schools I interviewed with to see what happens, In the meantime I am still sending off CVs and letters.

    What I try to keep in mind is that most heads are actually busy trying to run a school, and that staffing for next year sometimes will take a back seat to more immediate concerns.
     
  6. Thanks all for the responses!

    Both schools are in Europe.

    TDALEY I guess they are probably busy with a million other things, other than me wondering about whether I will be employed. Do I leave them to it, or should I follow up with (yet another) email?

    Yes, it seems to be the women fretting more. (I wonder if in most couples it's the women who send off the applications and do the research too... In our home it goes like this:
    Me: Do you fancy living in Outer Mongolia/the Seychelles/Kenya?
    Husband: (Grunt to indicate affirmative response)
    Then I research the schools, write the applications, spruce up the cvs and send them off. If then we get a call back husband will have a look at the school and do research in preparation for interview...)

    I have held off emailing them again for an extra few hours... that's positive, right?
     
  7. SMT dude

    SMT dude New commenter

    That's very philosophical and empathetic of you, TDALEY26.
    It shoudn't happen but it does.
    Getting the best staff possible for September is up there among our most important responsibilities and one of the things that has you sitting bolt upright sweating and mumbling at 0350hrs.
    You head to school tight-lipped with resolve to settle outstanding recruiting business once and for all, but 'immediate concerns' overwhelm you from 0825 to 1800 by which time you are fit only to drink a couple of dozen beers and eat a burger or three before falling into bed and having the cycle begin afresh in the small hours of the following day.
    *changes nickname to selfpitycity2*
     
  8. SMT dude with your wisdom and experience... would you get p**ed off at someone getting in touch again (after a week from last communication) and think they are being pushy, or would you welcome it as an opportunity to tell them (again) that you want them on the team...

    How long should I wait before I send a polite email to see what happened on Monday and if the right positions did infact open up?
     
  9. Diddysan

    Diddysan New commenter

    SMT.... You sound like the type of Head I want to work for :)
     
  10. Diddysan

    Diddysan New commenter

    Escape.... In our house, I'm the one fretting and losing sleep, my wife is the more level headed one.....

    SMT... I said I TRY to keep in mind these things...... doesn't mean I always succeed!!!!!!
     
  11. SMT dude

    SMT dude New commenter

    Certainly wouldn't be p'd off, and probably take it as a sign of interest and respond accordingly...
    ... if not immediately... [​IMG]
    DALEY thanks for kind words, I guess you mean a head who drinks beer and eats burgers may be almost human - remember it works both ways - sometimes we beg a candidate to accept a job and then hear nothing for an agonising week while s/he consults partner, kids, mother-in-law, tarot cards, runes, crystal balls and the Astrology page of the Daily Mail to establish whether this is the right move at the right time.
    In such cases - just like you - we wonder if it will seem too indecently pushy and desperate to send a follow-up mail.
     
  12. Diddysan

    Diddysan New commenter

    Escape....Did you decide what to do ?
     
  13. How did you guys read that one, massive paragraph!?
     
  14. Sorry about the lack of paragraphs, I do put them in when I write... but they don't seem to come out. Maybe I will try some spaces instead So, I emailed the Head and she emailed back pretty much straight away again, to say unfortunately the people she expected to leave are not both leaving. Not great... BUT she then said they really want both of us and would I consider a different year group (in fact the year group I am trained to teach...)
    So it might still be ok. We are both flexible and keen to work in the school in whatever position the Head can make good use of us. We are also both quite adventurous with our careers so not too fussed about trying something new. I emailed back and said as much... so we are now waiting.


    Let's see!
     
  15. Ok, spaces don't work either. Is it my browser?
     
  16. Busstopjen

    Busstopjen New commenter

    That's what happens when you use Safari. FF is better, if you're a Mac user!
     

Share This Page