1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

All male SLT

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by gliss, Mar 15, 2016.

1. gliss

gliss New commenter

is it accptible to have an all male SLT? With the head being the only woman?

Am finding this hard to accept.

2. gliss

gliss New commenter

On another issue, is it acceptable to continue to interview for a deputy head job when 2 candidates are internal and one external....isn't this too small a field to recruit! I am astonished that my school allowed this, but then who am .i!

3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Why? I have an all female SLT and I'm a male head.

digoryvenn and wanet like this.
  4. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

If they are the best people for the job, I'd say yes.

wanet and Jesmond12 like this.
  5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

It was such 'concerns' that brought the country to its knees, with incompetent and totally undeserving people being fast tracked to positions of authority.

If a management team is doing a good job I care not their gender, colour or sexual preference. In fact, I'd work for robots if they made my job more satisfying and eased workloads.

sabrinakat and wanet like this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

Best wishes

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Why do you find it hard to accept?

wanet likes this.
  8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Oh well - try to find something more important to worry about.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Why? You only need one decent candidate to make an appointment.
    I was wondering about this. Did you apply for DH and not get an interview? Or is there some other reason that you think there is not an appropriate person amongst those being interviewed?

10. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Our Head is male, all SLT are female; our school is a girls' independent.

CWadd likes this.
  11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

In my first headship I was appointed as the first female head of the school, leading an all-male SLT; about a year later I appointed another AHT from within the staff, but she got it because she was the best candidate (the others, all internal candidates, were all male and I was open-minded about appointing any of them).

You can't engineer staffing because of gender. You have to appoint the people you believe to be the best.

wanet, sabrinakat and digoryvenn like this.
  12. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

II worked in an all-girls' Indie where the entire SLT - HT, 2 deputies, and the Senior Master were all male. Best SLT I've ever worked for. Courtesy and approachability counts for a lot.

13. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Anecdote alert: one (pretty large, 650-ish) primary near me has no male staff except the site manager/caretaker. While I am happy to accept that the best applicants have been appointed, the gender imbalance is striking. Whether the gender imbalance is a bad thing is another matter; and of course the school has to be gender-blind (or better I suppose gender-impartial) in appointing.

jarndyce likes this.
  14. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I couldn't give a flying hedgehog if the SLT is all-male, all-female or all-Australian. As long as they lead the school well, look out for it's welfare and command the respect of pupils, parents and staff, that's all that matters.

CWadd and sabrinakat like this.
  15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Best practice does indeed include Blind shortlisting where applications are logged and numbered in the office, then the first page with personal information is removed from the form, any other information elsewhere is also Tippex-ed out before the applications are passed to the shortlisting panel who then only make decisions on numbers not names.

Best wishes

16. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

The last bit is pushing things a bit too far:)

CWadd and Middlemarch like this.