1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

all i can do is cry

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by s4mm13, Nov 12, 2011.

1. So, i just found out through a friend that I have been unsuccessful yet again to secure an interview.
    I just don't know what i'm doing wrong!
    I really thought that this was a great application.
    I'm so upset that yet again i hear nothing.
    What's worse is my home situation is getting worse and without this job there is no way out. Maybe i should forget teaching and get a shop job or something. I worked so hard to qualify and gave up so much, but i can't do this anymore.
    I can't even laugh it off anymore, all i can do is cry.

2. So, i just found out through a friend that I have been unsuccessful yet again to secure an interview.
    I just don't know what i'm doing wrong!
    I really thought that this was a great application.
    I'm so upset that yet again i hear nothing.
    What's worse is my home situation is getting worse and without this job there is no way out. Maybe i should forget teaching and get a shop job or something. I worked so hard to qualify and gave up so much, but i can't do this anymore.
    I can't even laugh it off anymore, all i can do is cry.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, so disapponting, especially finding out via a friend.
    You'll feel 'raw' for a bit (I know I usually do) but afterwards will be the time to 'pick yourself up' and have a 'fresh look' at that application. Imagine you were reading it as the preospective employer, how could you improve it?
    If it's any consolation, I've been putting applications in for years (admittedly now when I look back on them, in the light of reading all Theo's and others' wonderful advice here, I realise they left a lot to be desired) but having 'worked hard to improve' still haven't 'scored' heavily in interviews. So there might not be anything wrong -it's the sheer numbers of competition out there!
    Have you considered other roles within education? I've recently submitted an application for an HLTA post just to stay within eduvcation -didn't get it mind you!
    [​IMG]Make yourself a strong cup of coffee/tea, give your nose a good blow and go and do something indulgent 'just for you'!(Exercise is also good for getting the adrenalin flowing and improving your 'feel good' factor. So perhaps a brisk walk?)

4. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Oh s4mm13 my heart goes out to you, it really does.
    All of us on here know that feeling all too well. It's not a personal reflection on you, or on your teaching abilities, because keep in mind they don't even know your teaching abilities if they don't interview you, so it can't be that can it? We have all sent off loads of apps, and I have been procrastinating all morning because I should be doing some now, but find them really difficult. We all know the heartache because we put so much effort into them. It can't last forever, simply by the law of averages you will get something soon. Are you doing supply atm?
    yes, but just one. They are all important of course, but in the scheme of things this is just one application.
    That just doesn't help, and i"m sorry for you about that. Mine isn't too special, but I suspect for different reasons. My grandmother is living with us at the moment, and neither of my parents are especially well so I do most of the caring. Carers come in to change her, but the washing and liquidising of meals, and re-arraning in bed etc etc etc I do. I say this because I know it makes it difficult to motivate yourself for applying if generally you are not very happy.
    It helped me to do two courses that I have always wanted to do but could not afford - now I am unemployed they cost me 15 pounds :) I am learning sign-language and braille! It gives me something to focus on, and gets me out of the house two nights a week, and gives me a bit of 'me time'. Important for keeping on an equilibrium. I spent about a fortnight a few weeks ago, crying all the time - driving to class, bathing, cooking, talking to friends an odd tear - no many tears lol- would escape. But I'm feeling better now and back on the run of applications.
    'pick yourself up' and have a 'fresh look' at that application. Imagine
    you were reading it as the preospective employer, how could you improve
    it?
    (Laramfl)
    If i thelps I could have a look. Now please keep in mind that I am far from an expert, having only managed to big myself up twice (but you get used to it soon enough;-)), but maybe a fresh pair of eyes will help? Inbox me if you like. As I say very inexperienced, but anything glaringly odd I would notice!
    Anyway you. You can do this just like we all can. Have a good cry, a bar or ten of chocolate, and get going on those applications. Soon enough, all this will be a memory and that's it. Ooh, and if you are like I was a few weeks ago, don't read the I have a job/interview threads, I felt like slapping them all. How dare they be so bl**dy chirpy when I was getting nowhere? I stopped reading them for a while, but now I find it really encouraging again to know the job market is still alive and kicking.
    Anything we can do, ask. A more helpful forum I have not come across. You will get there. xx

5. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I really sympathise with your situation. Going through the whole application process again and again and just getting nothing back is really demoralising, and if there are other things going wrong in your life right now it can feel like 'nothing is going right.'
    Try to unpack the different things that are getting you down and work out what is the most important one to address. It sounds as though you are under a lot of stress at home and maybe wanting to move out of a shared home / relationship? Don't forget, taking a different job now and returning to the teaching job market fresh in Easter could be a good path for you, if it would let you sort out your personal life and help you to feel better about life.
    Hope things start to look up soon.

6. Thank you both so much for your support. It really doesn make a difference.
    It's been really tough lately and i feel responsible for making my partners and my life the more difficult because it is me that is keeping us in our situation by not being able to get a job. It is so stressful and really starting to have some negative health effects.
    This is exactly how i'm feeling. It's great for them and i do realise this, but my mental state at the moment makes me feel so angry at the same time. I'm just not good enough. Reading about others success is not jollying me along, it's only making me feel worse.
    I've been thinking about a 1-1 with Theo as i've already taken the half day seminar, but just can't afford it. I've followed all the advice offered, but still not getting anywhere.
    The positions here seem to be drying up at the moment and i've not managed to get any supply this week at all, for the first time since the start of term, which hasn't helped my mental state.
    Your kind replies are very welcome

7. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Hey s4mm13. First of all [​IMG]. I know how you must be feeling at the moment.
    You might not be doing anything wrong,there are just 100's of people applying.
    This is quite annoying, not really knowing whether the application actually arrived at the school, but this always happens because of all the people applying, The schools just can't afford to reply to the unsuccesful applicants the majority of the time.
    Could you perhaps apply for Christmas temp jobs, or a weekend job, so that you could save a bit of money, but still being able to continue with teaching and the applications, so as not to give up completely? I have been applying for Christmas jobs, though not successfully atm.
    I have definitely been feeling like that this week, but am going to give it one last go. Remember, only unemployed teachers can apply for the January jobs atm so hopefully a bit less competition[​IMG]. Could you maybe get your partner to look over your application for mistakes etc? I have lost count how many applications I have written. Last year for example I think there was one week when I literally applied for about 30 jobs in 1 week. Mad I know, BUT I did get 5 interview - no jobs though, so you MUST keep going.
    I remember you saying you lived either in Monmouth or Monmouthshire. I did my first TP in Monmouth. Have you got a car, or do you use public transport. I'm just asking, as Monmouth is very close to lot of places. England generally have a lot more jobs than Wales, and you must live quite close to Hereford, as well as Cardiff which seems to have more jobs than anywhere else in Wales. Also look on the local County Council websites. For example I have only ever seen teaching positions in Newport advertised on their Council website.
    Like Lara suggested maybe it is good to go and have a walk or something (doesn' t cost anything, and clears your head). Hope you feel better soon.
    Hope you are not still crying[​IMG]

8. Thanks Welshchocoholic,
    I'm applying for jobs on both sides of the boarder. I've even looked as far as swindon, but there's hardly anything being advertised now. I have stuck to my promise that if it is within an hours drive (i do drive, a must when living in the country!!) i will apply.
    The only thing i can do now is look at temp jobs and hope they don't all go to 16 year olds because they're cheap!!
    Tears are just abating now...

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not getting a job is not your fault - there are just too many teachers trained and too few jobs available. 200+ applicants quite often.
    Everyone on here feels for you in your situation.
    We have a traditional remedy on JobSeekers for when people are feeling really down.
    [​IMG]
    Hope it works for you - guaranteed calorie-free chocolate!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

10. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

Awww no, s4mm1e. What a way to find out. It hurts when you spend ages working on applications for nothing [​IMG]
    Hopefully you will have picked yourself up a bit and are ready to start the next application. I got my first interview after six applications on Friday. Felt very much like giving up last year but still plodding on.
    Chin up, eh. We're always here if you want a virtual shoulder to cry on.
    Here's a couple of beers to help you chill out ... guaranteed hangover free!
    [​IMG]

11. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

[​IMG]! I will have my fingers' crossed for you. x

12. Hmmm virtual choclate.... could murder a big hearty slab of fruit n nut as since leaving my first post with 2 terms of me NQT done i have posted easily 25 applications with not even an interview.

How hard should I push for feedback cos it smells to just be stuck doing supply?

Things have got so desperate I am making the most of me newly found single status and applying here there an everywhere... whats the worst that could happen lol

Chin up all :) life is a series of happy accidents

13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes it's really tough out there. 25 without a single interview is not great, however. have you looked at Theo's clickable advice at the start of this thread.
    Have you income for one of theprivate sessions or is it out of your price range/out of area?
    Like the upbeat
    Hang on to that.
    Hopefully you are at least you are getting supply?