1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

All girls, all boys, or mixed schools?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by best75, Mar 13, 2011.

1. I am currently undertaking my PGCE(22, female) and my first placement was in a rather large mixed school, and my second placement is in an all girls school. Even though the attainment level is quite a bit higher in the girls school, I find that they are harder to each. I do not have any experience with boys schools so therefore would like your views.
    I find that girls are very chatty and don't tend to listen to instructions/hold grudges etc. Maybe this has something to do with my age and being female, but I find it much better to teach at a mixed school.

2. I am currently undertaking my PGCE(22, female) and my first placement was in a rather large mixed school, and my second placement is in an all girls school. Even though the attainment level is quite a bit higher in the girls school, I find that they are harder to each. I do not have any experience with boys schools so therefore would like your views.
    I find that girls are very chatty and don't tend to listen to instructions/hold grudges etc. Maybe this has something to do with my age and being female, but I find it much better to teach at a mixed school.

3. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

I've done 'em all - boys only every time.

4. Same here.

5. Why do you feel that way? Are they easier to teach? Also are you male or female if you don't mind me asking?

6. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

I've taught in an all girls school and it was by far my favorite teaching experience. I find girls wonderful to teach. They DO pay attention, are conscientious, and more considerate towards one another and their teachers. HOWEVER, there are some teachers (both male and female) who seem to REALLY get teenage girls' backs up, and are therefore relatively ineffective.

I'm not too sure on this one, as I remember some very popular female teachers. However, if I had to generalize, I'd say that most girls probably prefer to be taught by men.

Unfortunately the old biddies that run most girls schools seem hell-bent on employing more old biddies. This is clearly evident (and illegal) if you look at the proportion of female to male teachers in subjects such as my own. Lump a good number of girls schools together, use the binomial distribution, and you will be that the probability of this happening by chance is minuscule.

7. scienceteacher11

scienceteacher11 New commenter

agree totally, girls hold grudges and have no problem being rude to female staff whereas I find boys slightly less comfortable with being so rude. I much prefered being in a mixed school and wouldn't apply to be in a girls school again unless it was a very high acheiving school

8. scienceteacher11

scienceteacher11 New commenter

by the way I'm young and female, don't know if this has anything to do with the negative attitude I got off quite a lot of the girls

9. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

Ahem! As an old biddy I resent that remark.

10. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Not half as much as I resent not getting a job for being a man. Especially, when girls end up with someone who they don't like, and who isn't particularly good, instead of someone who they would really love being taught by.

Couple of letters the wrong way round in your pseudonym?

11. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

I have taught in both mixed and girls schools and enjoyed both. Whilst girls can be more cooperative than boys and certainly are less likely to have extreme behaviour in general there is not a lot of difference in how they work in lessons. As a form tutor, the girls do seem to cause me more work but that is mainly due to friendship issues - girls are more likely to hold grudges ( as they are able to remember events for longer than two days) whilst boys can fall out spectacularly for a day and be fine the next.

The most important thing is finding a supportive school than particularly worrying about teaching either gender. Some teachers do have a particular preference but I am not that fussed. I just want to teach any pupil that is keen on my subject