1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ALL DOOM AND GLOOM?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hebahossani, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Hello!!! I am considering teaching (have a place if i would like it) and wondered if anyone had anything BALANCED to say about the profession! I have just read the most depressing amount of negative comments and stories on this forum. If you are a teacher and you have any balanced reflections on teaching please will you share with me as i would like to go into the profession with my eye's wide open. Thank you :)

2. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

You could start by learning how to use an apostrophe.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Capital letters and exclamation marks would be a simpler level to start off with.

If you want to have your eyes open, then do some work in a school between now and then. This is a board where people sound off reasonably often, it isn't a reflection of our whole week or often even the day.

Here is a thread I started a while ago and read every now and then on a bad day...might add to it today just to get it back to the top and some more happy stories:

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/546922.aspx?PageIndex=1

And this one, just because it shows how excited sad geeky teachers can be!

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/566366.aspx?PageIndex=1

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

So in other words you only want to hear the good bits?

5. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

It's hard work, but it's worth it.

6. Exactly as Lillipad points out: only saying what's great about the job isn't really being 'BALANCED'.
    Why would anybody put up with the pressure, exhaustion and **** pay if there weren't great bits?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Just dont use them at all - go on, go on , go on.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sounds fair enough.

Actually a list of lots of good bits might be fun...

9. My friends from university might earn twice my salary. BUT I SPENT THIS AFTERNOON MAKING COLLAGES AND SINGING SONGS. I win.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was horrible grumpy teacher yesterday who spent the morning trying hard not to just sit in class and cry. At wet lunchtime one of the most boyish of my boys wrote me a post it saying 'You are the best teacher in the world and I love you'. Thank goodness it was PPA afternoon and I could grab it and run away and properly cry.

In those nasty offices where people earn loads of money, that wouldn't happen would it...no-one cares there.

And this afternoon I was told I was the best PE teacher EVER. Ok so that doesn't say much for their previous teachers, and is a little worrying about the state of PE teaching in our school, but hey any compliment will do.

My class, who are a bit weird I appreciate, burst into spontaneous song at the start of assembly when I said we needed music to come in to. I'd not sorted the music and so it was all a bit quiet. They sang a seaside song we had been doing in phonics (compound words) and I looked a great teacher...!

See what other job compares?

11. It is the most gruelling demoralising treadmill, a scary responsibility, and at the same time wonderfully life affirming.
    You should only do it if you are not afraid of hard work.

12. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I said to a group I was working with today that I was preparing them for the next class and one of them said "I MISS THIS CLASS ALREADY, I DON'T WANT TO GOOOOOOOO." I felt a little smug.

13. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I am printing this out and putting it on my wall to remind me of some of the best things about this job!
    Thank you for making me laugh out loud, Lilybett! [​IMG]

14. Martin87

Martin87 New commenter

Best job in the world, I absolutely love it.

15. Thanks for that very honest post! I really appreciate it! It seems to also be very dependent on the leadership team and how supportive they are :).