1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

all day A2 music lesson

Discussion in 'Music' started by murphy01, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Our year 12's are returning next week. Over the next four weeks the students will have music lessons on one day (once a week). The intention is to give the students an activity that they can work on independantly during the day and then return to the teacher demonstrating their findings/skills. Has anyone got any ideas to keep the students motivated and interested. I have two guitar players and to clarinet players! We study Edexcel.

2. erp77

erp77 New commenter

Composition?
    I know that mine would love a full day to just get on with their composition work

3. The briefs have not been issued yet - would you get them to develop compositonal techniques in preparation?set them a group brief?

4. erp77

erp77 New commenter

You usually have a rough idea what the type of briefs are going to be. We do AQA and usually go for the free composition option.
    I would look at past papers and give them a choice. Set a few exercise, model some examples and let their creativity flow!

5. I must say that my students would not like a whole day on composition! but i will give it a go, I think they would work best on some short composition tasks possibly in groups first.

6. It doesn't have to be one day on one activity does it. I would definitely throw in some 4 part work - the jump from AS to A2 is a steep one!

7. As a summer project I always get them to arrange/transcribe and perform one of next year's set works for their own instruments... maybe arranging the Corelli for 2 clarinets + teacher/guitar acmp could be done in one day! or the Ghanain drumming for anything around...

8. thanks for that i like that idea, cheers