1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

all chuffed up...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by NellyFUF, Jul 27, 2011.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

teejay does not understand EYE FSP thus does not realise I get children to above average attainment
    I am itching for the rest of my data. I hate data. But if it supports planting spuds and finger painting plus early synthetic phonics then I am a made woman. I can market the madness.....

2. And your evidence for this assumption is??? :-D

I certainly do understand it. I believe that if its primary purpose is to inform the year 1 teacher then it is practically useless.

3. NellyFUF

NO
    at this moment in time it's primary purpose it to make me happy. Why should that be a problem to you? Surely date is precious. No? Dearie me.

4. It isn't a problem! Take pride in a job well done!

5. NellyFUF

thanks for that
    if I could prove that child iniated activities plus good pre literacy adult directed activities (phonics ) were the way to go I would do so
    I could save so many teachers from wasting time and energy planning things they don't get round to doing and doing the things that make an impact.
    Bless

6. Phonics is hardly "pre-literacy"! The problem with your child initiated activities (whilst I agree with you) is that it would be very difficult to justify paying a teachers wage to someone to watch over this.

7. NellyFUF

Ah ha
    all the research proves from way back when (Plowden ) that when nursery children are taught by teachers thye do better
    So yes we do need teachers to supervies the anarchy of play, we do.

8. Hi, do you have any links to this evidence? I see the point that paying someone 35k a year to do practically the same job as a 10k a year nursery nurse could be construed as a waste of money, particularly if you are not going to be planning.

9. Well there's a lot more to teaching than doing some planning, especially in the early years. It's about bringing intelligence to bear on building positive relationships and supporting learning. The task is to ensure that children thrive and learn and the teacher has to make that happen, using their professional judgement and all the other resources at their disposal. It's unlikely that nursery nurse training can prepare anyone for this level of work. NNs are frequently wonderful, but they do not have the skills or confidence to create a coherent ethos of child-centred learning. It's not easy. If only you could write a plan and solve all the dilemmas and problems! But then easy tends to be boring.

10. And easy tends not to work.

11. I think the way to go is to have either huge nurseries with 1 teacher supervising it all, or federations of 2 or 3 smaller nurseries with a teacher in charge of them all.

12. Why? You need more teachers, not fewer.

13. Why? Schools don't need more teachers. They need effective teachers. For too long education has been a bottomless pit down which tax payers' money has been thrown. Quantity of everything has triumphed over quality.

14. Teachers, however good, cannot be effective in bad situations. Put one teacher with 90 children and some support staff and that is when you will be throwing money down the pit. The quality outcome is not dependent on the quality of the teacher alone but on many factors - for instance the quality of the management, the environment, the resources, the timetable, the ratio, the curriculum, the support staff, the government.
    How many times, as teachers, do we find ourselves knowing what is needed but powerless to bring about changes.

15. NellyFUF

Oh for heaven's sake
    We need the most skilled teachers or nursery nurses or EYPs or humans to work with the youngest children. It takes the most skill to break down and chunk learning and build intuitive blocks from the start into young minds. The highest principled people, the most dedicated.
    And they should be paid well including nursery nurses who also plan and teach and are dedicated super skilled often and not recognised for their abilities.
    And we should be seriously thinking about the bizarre adult to child ratio that we offer our youngest children.
    Or alternatively we could lock tots in the cellar until they are big enough to push up chimneys/have a sensible conversation, and just throw the occasional mouldy potato through the grill ...........

16. Thanks Nelly - you said it! [​IMG]