1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

all children making progress each session?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Anonymous, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

What does 'on task' mean? Fortunately I have always found that children often learn more when they are not 'on task'. 'On task' is so narrow.

2. You can't be observing or assessing progress of every child in every session and ofsted can't expect you to - unless you had ratios of 1:1.
    But we can all assure ofsted that the nature of the early years child is such that they are learning all the time, whether it's the planned learning we have in mind for them or the things they learn in spite of us.
    Social skills, communication skills, simple physical skills others take for grated that children can do, every little thing about every little thing that they don't know until they see, hear or discover it in their early years. Let alone how to be at school, ready to learn all the other stuff.

3. or even to the mother at home how does she know her children are growing every meal? or to the pilot how does he know his aeroplane is flying all the time.....?
    because in the first instance life has its own momentum and is dynamic and evolving and growing by nature unless we try to pin it down and measure it and mothers are part of that nature and cannot but help along its grand design , , or in the second case that aeronautical engineering, pilot's training and not a little disbelief- all keep us flying.
    IN serious OFSTEd are well meaning (I think) they want at heart to make real societey's aspirations as made explicit in education. however it is a bit like the tin man, - they don't really know what the emotions are that make human learning. Instead they can only focus on outward signs which are frustratingly illegilble to their systems.
    If OFSTED ask those questions its because they don't actually know the answer themselves, normally they have the outward signs mastered to some degree - all the planning and observation stuff, but in their hearts they keep asking the same question to see if they can ever eventually understand what an early years teacher by dint of training and experience, by awareness of the greater miracle they see everyday and by a great dolop of disbelief, actually DO!.
    Its not to say that teaches and schools don't get it wrong -and OFSTED could help there if only they really knew their onions. However they (OFSTED) use their great hams of fists to clumbsily reach our and grab this learning thing in flight in the hope of observing it, definining and somehow assimilating it into their tin hearts, their measuring and grading heart, yet all they do, is squat it flat.

4. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I think children are more likely to make progress in free flow sessions when they are doing things of their own choosing because they are naturally inquisitive. Teachers notice pretty quickly if a child is doing the same thing over and over and steps in to investigate - which is one time where observation can reveal a lot. Ofsted (or any other LA/SMT observer really) can see if the children are engaged but as they don't know the children very well, they don't honestly know if they are making progress. I think the trick is to be prepared for the question (as it is flavour of the month) and have some answers for it that will impress. Sometimes it is hard to articulate everything that you know so being prepared for such questions is a good thing. The other flavour of the month is "challenge" for everyone. Which is a bit bonkers. Because children need time to consolildate and apply what they know. If they were challenged in every session of every day they would be exhausted with their heads spinning. Adults too for that matter.

5. Are OFSTED maybe seeking reassurance that you have given each child consideration when planning the day? Would you perhaps refer them to your long term planning and current enhancements (especially those that were set up in response to children's wants/needs/ interests) and possibly to your observation cycle and learning journeys that show you are aware of what is going on in your classroom beyond the focused activity you're working on?
    I've no idea what they're after just interested to muse on how I would respond when faced with this question...

6. I would be really interested to know what answer OFSTED were looking for!!

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

8. sadika

sadika New commenter

It is certainly THE thing they are looking for ... but I'm not sure how they do it accurately - we are the ones who know our children best and we are the ones who know when a teeny step in the right direction has been taken ... sadly they don't!!! Proof of this only last week ... oh well they came, they didn't see, and they judged!!! (so we got a "good") hallelujah!!!!

9. What's wrong with good?
    Outstanding is a bit of a nonsense really - what no room for improvement? And there's only one way to go from the top.
    I'd be very pleased with good.

10. sadika

sadika New commenter

Absolutely nothing wrong with "good" imo BUT prospective parents MAY look for an "outstanding" alternative ... not that I know of any so "graded" nearby ...