1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

All bottom sets - fair?

Discussion in 'English' started by captain_picard, Jan 19, 2011.

1. captain_picard

captain_picard New commenter

I've gradually acquired nearly all bottom set GCSE classes by having classes taken away from me. I have no issues with regards to behaviour, the pupils levels are in line with other teachers, yet I can't seem to get an answer why I'm the only teacher in the dept with a timetable like this:
    Two bottom set Year 11 classes.
    Two bottom set Year 10 classes
    A middle set Year 9
    A middle set Year 8

Is this fair? Normal?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. captain_picard

I've gradually acquired nearly all bottom set GCSE classes by having classes taken away from me. I have no issues with regards to behaviour, the pupils levels are in line with other teachers, yet I can't seem to get an answer why I'm the only teacher in the dept with a timetable like this:
    Two bottom set Year 11 classes.
    Two bottom set Year 10 classes
    A middle set Year 9
    A middle set Year 8

Is this fair? Normal?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I've had similar timetables when new to a school but never had classes taken away from me. In your situation, I wouldn't worry about the allocation but I would want something better next year. If a class was taken away from me, I would want to know why.

4. captain_picard

I'm not new, however. This is my third year at the school.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would take it as a huge compliment. Many teachers simply cannot cope with lower ability sets, certainly can'y motivate them let alone get good work out of them, so it sounds as though you're successful & they're capitalising on your strengths.

6. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Bottom set 7, 8, 9, 10 (actually below bottom), 11 here.
    No VI form in the school.

7. You need to find out why. It may be that you're the only one who can get a bare minimum of acceptable behaviour out of the bottom sets. Or it may be that they don't consider you to be capable of getting good grades out of the more able pupils. Or it might be nothing to do with you as such, just everyone else wants to avoid the bottom sets and, since you don't kick up a fuss, you're left holding them.
    I'd approach someone you trust who's of approximately equal status to yourself and ask what's going on. Then you know how to react.

8. captain_picard

I suspect it's because they don't think I can get the grades out of them. I had a middle set last year who didn't do too well.

9. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Ooh, that's difficult. You can see the dept/school's concern here, but .. did you have them from the beginning of y10? It's always difficult picking up a class. Were they an 'odd' class with a lot of non-attenders, wildly inflated target grades, or something else that made them especially difficult? Is the present HOD aware of any issues that you had? Middle sets can be really tricky because you get under-achievers and those that realy struggle so getting them to achieve is hard work.
    Have you had classes taken away because of poor Mock results, parental concerns or similar? If you don't know what the problems are, it's hard to know where to go with this. Could you approach your HOD and ask?

10. captain_picard

I picked up the middle ability when they were in Year 11. They had not had an English teacher throughout Year 10. Also, lots of EAL students. demotivated, poorly behaved, with predictions of Ds, but were expected somehow to get Cs. I've had no parental concerns or poor results. As I said, my results are in line with other teachers in the department. I'm going to ask the HoD today what the reason is.
    Thanks for your replies.