1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'All aboard the rollercoaster'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by good boy, Aug 19, 2018.

1. good boy

good boy New commenter

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have to say that once I had been in the classroom a few years the GCSE results were never a surprise. There would be occasional 'bad' years but we already knew what to expect having taught them for 2 years. I never went in for the results, once the kids had finished the exams in June they were no longer of interest to me.

3. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Mmm. Coursework downgraded by 2 grades. I find this difficult to believe from this teacher with consistently outstanding exam results. If true then he/ she did something seriously wrong in the marking and moderating of coursework. More likely resigned before pushed.

4. install

install Star commenter

The writer acknowledges that in some way to be fair. What struck me was the 'climate of fear' phrase though. Especially for some teachers on results days. And where there is 'fear' (and possibly intimidation too) - lives are ruined and 'mistakes' severely punished, even for the exceptional. And that is not an environment most people would like to work in.

If you work in a blame culture,.if you are not allowed to learn from mistakes,.and if you feel your life is being ruined - then it is right to get out as fast as you can. If only to stay sane, happy and healthy.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    agathamorse and yodaami2 like this.
  5. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

Although I concur with post#2 that most students get what they deserve / you expect, in a small subject like mine where I typically have around 12 students, just 2 students missing their target grade by a couple of marks can mean that I am '17% below target' - which doesn't look good. Although my SLT pretend to understand that the statistics don't tell the whole story, the fact is that when this happens I am under a huge amount to pressure to demonstrate what steps I am taking to improve the outcomes of exam classes - when actually the fluctuations are just the normal cohort variations you might expect.

Hence, I am apprehensive about Thursday - particularly this year when I have no idea what the grade boundaries are likely to be and I have applied the new coursework mark scheme for the first time.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I went in for a results day about 7 years ago. Found it very odd. SLT and HoD ran around panicking and crunching numbers. Kids came and went. Me and other teachers stood around chatting then went for a drink.

I don't get what the fuss is (obviously different if a pupil)

agathamorse likes this.
  7. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

The main problem these days are that SLTs set completely unrealistic targets for teachers (not pupils) to reach, coupled with no action on reducing existing workload tasks and adding to the current tasks with new ones.

agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Why can't you just get your results in the post like in the old days? None of the hysteria

lanokia and agathamorse like this.