1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alien day ideas

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by judebeanie, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Hi
    We're doing a topic about aliens at the moment with my year 1 class. We've read Here comes the aliens, Beegu, Q Pootle 5, etc.
    I'm planning on having an alien day, dressing up as aliens, eating alien food and doing alien inspired activities.
    I'm thinking of using food colouring to make some buns look a bit out of this world. I've thought about decorating biscuits, circles for planets, stars? Gingerbread men maybe?
    Can anyone think of any activities that the children get engaged with?
    Thanks for your ideas!

2. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

How old are your class?

3. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

duh - sorry just spotted that it's a year 1 class. I'd recommend that you post this on the main primary board as it seems to get more traffic than us scots.
    How about getting them to dramatise some sort of situation humans landing on a human planet, a conversations with an alien...?
    I'm a P5 teacher so my ideas are probably too up the school I'm afraid.

4. How about papier mache alien masks?

5. Hi,
    Have you read 'Aliens love Underpants?' Children love it, it's short, sweet and has them in stitches. You could then make underpants in different patterns as a fun (maths) activity. Hang them on a washing line and use in a retell roleplay of the book or for counting etc.
    :)

6. Thanks for the ideas so far!
    When the children arrive in their alien costumes, I'm going to ask for their ID papers and when they don't have them make a big fuss of not having the right paperowrk but not to worry because that will be the first activity. I'll take the photos (all dressed up) and they'll have to write their alien name their planet name and a picture and description of it too.
    Once they have their ID we'll move on to other activities. I like the underpant ideas and found some great underpant outlines in the resource area.
    I'm thinking of going on a moon rock hunt, hide silver rocks around the playground and if the weather is fine the nature walk.
    Make flying saucers, glue a paper dish to a paper plate and decorate. See who can make their fly the farthest.
    Remember the alien, show a picture on the IWB for 20 seconds then they have to draw it.
    Alien musical statues to space inspired music (Star Trek Star Wars Oxygene?)
    Space pictures black paper and chalk, found this idea on Art Attack.
    Then finish by having a drink of space juice (green soda?) and a piece of space cake (I'm going to make one the night before)
    Will make some glittery green playdough and might have some green jelly for the maleable area.
    Looking forward to it now!

7. Hi, please could anyone be so kind to tell me the story of Beegu by Alex Deacon.
    I would really appreciate it if someone could type the story for me!
    Many Thanks
    Tia