1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alien crash landing in playground? Ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lightbulb100, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

I can sort of see where you are coming from debbiehep, and some of your concerns are valid. We need to be careful that stimulus, be it factual or fictional, has its place and is appropriate.
    However, you are raising concerns that to me seem, as I said, like mere pedantry. What do you perceive as the harm of staging such an event as an alien crash landing in the playground? You are raising concerns and asking teachers to re-evaluate practise, yet I am not sure why.

2. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Blimey you like to write long, rambling posts don't you!

Did you actually say that because you aren't teaching you have the incredible ability to watch Sky TV? That teachers aren't able to 'think widely'?
    You do make some valid points about religion in school. I don't think we should have state funded faith schools either. I would also welcome the conversation about what we should and shouldn't teach in schools. I just feel you are occasionally condescending with your comments about how you have been able to view/read certain things (implying others haven't) and how you think widely.

3. NeKo

NeKo New commenter

Having read all 15 pages on mumsnet I'm feeling very square eyed and tired, so sorry if this doesn't make sense.
    Firstly, I have always wanted to do an idea like this. However the way the mums wrote about it made me re-think and re-question it. The way it was carried out in that school (and from the sounds of it in others as well) was not good, but in others it worked well. What the conclusion seemed to be was be careful how much "truth/ realism" you put into it so it is not seen as a "lie". I've gone from wanting to do this, to thinking "oh gosh, they're right - it's terrible" and back to "okay, I could still do it but I'd make sure I did it with the the "What if..." approach.". As with everything I think the key is knowing the children in your class and the purpose for the activity and how it links/ builds up.
    Whatever you decide to do - good luck.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

have you seen this site about a book.alien in the playground..with ideas for plans
    http://www.kenttrustweb.org.uk/kentict/kentict_sub_lit_alien.cfm

5. "...and it certainly hasn't damaged me."

That's OK then.

6. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

As I said in a previous post, you haven't explained the harm you think can be done by such a staged activity.
    This is the best you have offered so far which, I am afraid, is laughable as a serious objection to this style of teaching.

7. Hey Lightbulb! Just thought I would say that I think this is a great idea and has inspired me to do something similar for our book week. I am sure the children will love it especially the boys and I am hoping I will be able to get some good writing out of them as a result. Thanks for a great idea and if I have any brainwaves on how to stage the crash I will pass it on. Teachergirl xx

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://www.everybodywrites.org.uk/projects/case-study-details/alien-crash-landing/
    http://www.everybodywrites.org.uk/projects/case-study-details/aliens-at-st-marks-primary-school/
    case studies including detailed time table of day
    http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2009/02/12/they-came-from-the-outer-reaches-of-the-national-curriculum-61634-22909545/

If you do a quick search there are lots of examples

9. I agree that this is a different generation of children - which is one reason why I was trying to suggest that teachers need to think carefully about their rationale for staging alien crash landings, and the manner in which they do this and for whom, and there is a need to think about the content of future teaching in our primary schools.
    However, I think there have been a number of posters on this thread now who are very rude and abrasive - and that is not the way to perpetuate debate or extract further explanation as to my thought processes.
    A visit to mumsnet will illustrate that there is clearly a very wide range of people's views - both teachers and parents - regarding this subject - and surely this is an indication that there IS more to the staging of scenarios such as alien crash landings than engaging the children in 'fun and enjoyment'.
    I choose to leave it at that on this thread.