1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alice in Wonderland Scheme of Work

Discussion in 'English' started by Damn his eyes, May 24, 2010.

1. Anyone have an Alice in Wonderland Scheme of Work, or any ideas to teach it? So far I have 'create your own mad character', 'who would you invite to your mad hatter tea party?' and a descriptive task in which pupils create their own Wonderland.

Many thanks

2. Anyone have an Alice in Wonderland Scheme of Work, or any ideas to teach it? So far I have 'create your own mad character', 'who would you invite to your mad hatter tea party?' and a descriptive task in which pupils create their own Wonderland.

Many thanks

3. I invented an Alice in Wonderland card game. It's played with ordinary playing cards.
    Take out the Queen of Hearts and the Queen of Diamonds (Alice). Put the two cards face down on the table and one player gets the Queen of hearts, the other gets Alice.
    Starting with the Queen of Hearts, draw cards from the pack. As each player draws a card, she keeps them in her hand. At any time, the Queen of Hearts can put down a heart 1-10. Alice then has to put that number of cards onto the bottom of the pile. If, at any time, the Queen of Hearts draws the Knave of Hearts, Alice, or white rabbit (Ace of Spades) she shouts, "Off with [his/her/its] head, and tears the top of the card. (This is a game for children with lots of packs of playing cards). The exception is if Alice holds the King of Hearts. She can play him saying "no, no, dearie, you've executed quite enough people today already" and the card is saved.
    The game ends if the Queen executes all three, or if the cards run out and Alice still has one of the three in her hand.

(I'm not saying this game has any educational value at all, except to older maths students who can work out the probability of each player winning and the optimal strategy. But it's fun and it fills up a summer afternoon.)

4. Haven't written one but Lewis Carroll was a huge fan of word puzzles, puns, anagrams acrostics etc and there are many web sites which have these. They make great starters and encourage kids to think, play and have fun with words and word patterns.
    What KS and ability are you aiming at?
    Of course there's Jabberwocky and all the fun that can be had with that creatively, as well as discussions and activities it provokes about word classes and reading strategies.

5. Thanks for those ideas. I forgot about witches' interest in quizzes, and Post 2 seems great.

Should be an interesting half term.

6. You really need to know Anglo Saxon to appreciate that poem. The nice thing about Alice is that it can be enjoyed by all ages.

7. Why on earth why? It's a nonsense poem - a brilliantly constructed - (accurate sentence structure and observation of poetic forms) nonsense poem - but a nonsense poem nonetheless. He only claimed it was Anglo-Saxon but was invented for the amusement of his family. They use it in primary to teach nouns and verbs as well as portmanteau words.
    So good for playing around with. As Alice herself said: "Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas, only I don't exactly know what they are!"
    What better place to start?

8. The storyline is a satire on Beowulf. The alliteration harks back to Anglo-Saxon (though advanced pupils will note that actually Caroll uses modern, not Anglo-Saxon, rules for the metre), as does the fact that you can't understand it.
    Humpty-Dumpty's interpretation of "brillig" as "Four O'Clock in the afternoon, the time you begin broiling things for dinner" is of course ridiculous, contrasting the geneteel civilisation of Vcitorian England with the values of an heroic poem.

9. We've written a scheme of work for our Year 7s. I will try and upload it. New to TES website. Comments welcomed.

10. In my PGCE interview I said I would teach a scheme of work based on Jabberwocky as one of my first lessons to some year 7s.
    Ideas included -
    * Identify what word class the words belong to (would show you what sort of level the pupils were at which would be useful for a new class, maybe some refreshing on stanzas, rhyme, rhythm etc)
    *Possible meanings to the words - what would a 'slithy tove' look like, what do you think the adjective means, why? Is it the sounds, way the word looks on the page? etc - then show them Humpty Dumpty's definition of some of the words and ask them if they agreed with them - maybe linking this in with doing a bit of a character study on Humpty Dumpty showing he is an unreliable character (also, he isn't that well known in this context and so would limit the effect that the Disney/Burton films have on the pupils' perception of the characters and make them rely on the text)
    *Oh, and I'd finish with a youtube clip of Jonny Depp reading the poem as the Mad Hatter and show them the Jabberwocky and the vorpal sword from the recent movie. I personally don't think that's what a vorpal sword looks like!
    I don't know how feasible this is to do in a classroom as I don't start my PGCE till September but I got on the course so I guess the interviewers must have thought it had potential!

11. Not sure if I can edit my post so I'll just have to put this in a new post...
    I'd also mention how our own experiences alter our perception of the poem. The line 'rested he by the TumTum Tree' combined with Brillig always makes me think of Medieval England and how it's dangerous to fall asleep under a tree in the afternoon (Sir Orfeo) and so I always picture it as taking place on a sunny day in May about 2 in the afternoon but I know a lot of other people have it on a cold wet day because the drawings around the poem are dark. Would be interesting to examine what the pupils thought and see if there were any differences - though that might be going off topic a little too much and indulging my personal interest rather than teaching them stuff. xx

12. hwmdavis

hwmdavis New commenter

Hi, is it possible you could email this to me?? I am currently doing a Wonderland topic with a class of Year 6 for my student teacher placement. Thanks!

13. Clarerees

Clarerees New commenter

I have one for high ability Year 8. If you personal message me your email address, I can email it to you.

14. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

It's here, you don't need an email:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Alice-in-Wonderland-Key-Stage-Three-Scheme-of-work-6047597/
    Remember to leave a comment if you use it.

15. Hi, I know this post is from quite a while ago but I was just wondering if I gave you an email address could you possibly forward it to me? Would be very grateful!