1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alice in wonderland prop

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by 88hagley, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Hi the drama department has asked me to make a 3 m tree stump for the school play. It has to be on wheels and the children have to be able to disapear into it.
    Any ideas on what to use..modroc might be a bit too heavy. Anything over chicken wire runs the risk if pupils catching themselves when inside the stump...Any ideas very welcome...thanks in advance.

2. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

hummmm.... will have a think, but first thing that comes to mind is using a dustbin? - fixed to a wooden base on castors, mod roc or gum-strip on outside, and extend up?
    3 metres high or wide?

3. It has to be 3m diameter and as high as possible....Think bloomin massive! Thanks for putting your thinking cap on!

4. Hi Withies covered in tissue paper - would be very light? Withies are willow sticks but don't come in three m high - you'd have to bind together. You can have a look at working with wities on AccessArt (type "withies" into search within www.accessart.org.uk. Withies can easily be fastened with tape or wire or even glue gun - so you would build a structure (a huge tube), then tissue paper over it - it would of course be hollow - seems feasible to me?

good luck
    Paula

5. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Do they ACTUALLY want it 3 metres wide (that's bigger than a super kingsize bed!!?!) It's going to be in the way backstage that's for sure!... wonder if they've thought it through?
    Having made some big moving baracades for a show, you may need to look at heavy duty breaked castor wheels!... if there are several students climbing on it, but it has to be wheeled off, then you need breaks!
    I suppose it depends on how many nights the show runs for etc... We do 8 nights, so a withy & tissue paper structure wouldn't survive well, but it may be the answer for a one off performance.
    Is there a D&T technician who might be able to create something with students in an after-school scenery club? (That's my plan this year anyway!)

6. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

The size was what worried me, Lottes, and the backstage issues and safety. I've built bits of sets on low platforms with braked wheels, - not attempted barricades, but then not tackled "Les Mis" - and even when you design within the onn-off space constraints, it's not easy, and I'd think that withies and tissue would have fire regulation issues. I've used willow wands and silky fabric, proofed and fastened over, but not very durable even so. I'd have a better idea if I knew exactly what / how it is to be used, wouldn't you?

7. Thankyou all for your ideas...you have all been really helpful.[​IMG]