1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alex Salmond on Radio Scotland

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by nordanses, May 4, 2011.

1. Did anyone else hear this interview and just about crash on the way to school this morning?

To summarise: he mentioned that the EIS have voted to accept the pay deal (no mention of other unions voting to reject, although I do realise that is now irrelevant with the weighting towards the EIS) and stated that as a result EVERY post probationer WOULD HAVE A JOB in August.

As a soon to be post probationer, I got a bit excited by this, as you can probably understand. My understanding of the agreement was that there will be "enough jobs available" - NOT that probationers had to get those jobs. Our LA told all probationers that they had guaranteed to keep a "percentage" of probationers next session - however that percentage remained unspecified, which I guess means that keeping on even a handful of us could potentially fulfil their side of the bargain.

So - who's telling the truth, and who's telling porky pies? I know a lot of people have the impression that probationers have been guaranteed jobs - but I know NO-ONE who has even been told verbally that they have a job next session, but plenty who have been told there definitely isn't a position where they have been working this year.

PS - anyone have a contact number for Alex so I can be first to complain that he broke a campaign promise if I'm signing on for Jobseekers Allowance come August?

2. Did anyone else hear this interview and just about crash on the way to school this morning?

To summarise: he mentioned that the EIS have voted to accept the pay deal (no mention of other unions voting to reject, although I do realise that is now irrelevant with the weighting towards the EIS) and stated that as a result EVERY post probationer WOULD HAVE A JOB in August.

As a soon to be post probationer, I got a bit excited by this, as you can probably understand. My understanding of the agreement was that there will be "enough jobs available" - NOT that probationers had to get those jobs. Our LA told all probationers that they had guaranteed to keep a "percentage" of probationers next session - however that percentage remained unspecified, which I guess means that keeping on even a handful of us could potentially fulfil their side of the bargain.

So - who's telling the truth, and who's telling porky pies? I know a lot of people have the impression that probationers have been guaranteed jobs - but I know NO-ONE who has even been told verbally that they have a job next session, but plenty who have been told there definitely isn't a position where they have been working this year.

PS - anyone have a contact number for Alex so I can be first to complain that he broke a campaign promise if I'm signing on for Jobseekers Allowance come August?

3. I don't know the answer, but if this year's Probationers are handed jobs (albeit temporary) I would be furious.
    I did my PGDE in 2006-07 when there was no mention of job shortages. I still have no job, just occasional, sporadic supply.
    Why should this year's Probationers get work when those of us who have been struggling on supply for years get nothing? [​IMG]

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Hear Hear!

5. The official answer seems to be that jobs will be available. I think Salmond may have overstated his case in a fit of campaign enthusiasm but I could be wrong. Email him and ask for clarification - if you're lucky he'll do something more than have a barely literate minion cut and paste a reply together from a variety of stock documents.

6. Typically of a politician, you have to look at what WASN'T said.
    "A job" doesn't specify permanent/temporary or part time/full time.
    This is now a condition for COSLA to satisfy; if it doesn't happen, Salmond (if he wins) can blame them for not upholding their end of the bargain. If Labour win, Iain Gray can say this was an unrealistic SNP promise that they should never be expected to be held to, etc etc etc.

7. Yes. Many of those who did deserve jobs (proper, full time and permanent jobs) have been homing their skills on supply for two or three years, turning down non-teaching work to be available, scraping by on a few days here and there. I don't think any one them would object to a fair competition for jobs but the idea that this year's probationers should be parachuted in over their heads just to enable Salmond to look good is a travesty. I hope this is not what happens. Supply teachers have been the victim of too much already.

8. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I do feel for all supply teachers not being able to have permanent and regular work but you are not alone - all professions and new graduates are suffering. My grown up kids (non-teachers) are testament to this and good degrees have not got them very far in the last 5 years. As their mum I feel so angry, sad and all that goes with it and will not be voting SNP today.
    Please feel supported by your colleagues sympathy (for want of a better word, sorry!)
    Joni

9. If 'all the other teachers' are 'bitching' about it - it is because they are aware of many good teachers who have not been able to secure regular employment and are uneasy at the thought of ONLY the latest cohort being able to do so. They may also be uneasy about some of the teachers who are on supply that do not put in the hours they are paid for and wish there was some way of ensuring that those who got jobs were those who put in the effort.

10. weegoose

weegoose New commenter

I am fully aware of that. I just don't like the fact that my year group will probably be looked down upon for something that is out of our control.

11. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

Surely not a 5 year pay freeze? All those people who voted in this clown should be ashamed of themselves.

12. Idiot.