1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aldi strawberries or strawberries from the Co-op?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vladimir, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Today I bought a punnet of strawberries from Aldi for 99p and it got me thinking. I have been buying strawberries from the Co-operative for £2 per punnet, which have usually been sweet enough to eat without the need for macerating them in sugar or a natural sweet alternative, such as sucralose, but not always. Now I'm not saying here that you get quite as many strawberries in a punnet of strawberries from Aldi, as you do in a punnet from the Cooperative, but it does make you think, doesn't it? Why spend more when you don't need to? But then again, aren't the likes of Aldi and Lidl helping to bankrupt the economy by participating in the proliferation of cheap food and other merchandise? It's all a big worry to me!

2. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

I swear by Aldi. You always get a better deal there. However, I have noticed that co-op cola is often substantially cheaper than its Aldi competitor when you take account of the frequent special offers. Also it's not quite so sickly sweet as Aldi and has a more genuine taste.