1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alcoholics not so anonymous....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lardylady, Jun 14, 2012.

1. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I'm considered a bit odd at work because I am teetotal. After a staff night out, the talk is always of who was the drunkest/ has the worst hangover etc- it's like being back in the sixth form common room when bragging about drinking a few shandies was the thing to do. I fail to understand why people would actually choose to get so smashed that they can't see straight.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

For about 13 years I was teetotal but I didn't really experience the negative attitudes some people report - I just said 'no, I don't drink' or 'no thank you' and it was only on rare occasions that anything was made of it. Nowadays I'll have the occasional glass of wine or, if it's very hot (ha!) a wee bottle of lager but I now buy the mini bottles because a whole bottle goes to waste as I rarely have more than one glass and often go for weeks or months without having any.
    I don't like being drunk (control freakery on my part I think, as well as having become less and less tolerant of alcohol in my system as I've got older) and don't much care for being around people who are drunk (more control freakery...I can't deal with the unpredictability of the average drunk).

3. There is little in life more boring than being the only sober person on a night out where everyone's drinking. Saying that, I love, love, love a glass of chilled white wine or beer and I would be really sad if I wasn't able to have it ever again. I guess I'd get used to it though.

4. You don't have to be drunk or dependent if you enjoy a glass or two of wine, beer or spirits. A nice meal isn't complete without accompanying wine, warm days call out for cold beer or a crisp gin and tonic and cold nights for a dram.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I had my first ever gin and tonic a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it - I must have been waiting for my palate to improve! I could never stand the smell of gin before.

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

it would depend on the reason for being told I couldn't have it, presumably it would be a medical reason and therefore would be lifesaving so that would be ok but it if was just to take the choice away then no I would not be happy. This is like someone else said, it is my choice and if someone said I couldn't eat crisps then I would feel the same thing.

I like a glass of wine, I don't drink to excess because I don't like being drunk so I stop after a few. I don't understand the concept of shots just to get drunk. I like wine because I like wine not because of the fact that it makes me drunk (like I said I stop!) Do I go on nights out and not drink? Depends where it is, if it's somewhere that is more convenient to drive then I won't drink but if it's an easy taxi ride home then yes I will have a drink.

7. Woo hoo.....6pm
    Wine time!

8. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

HAHAHAHA

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I'm 32 minutes late, been too busy marking!
    I would hate it if I were told I could never have another alcoholic drink, but IF I chose never to have another alcoholic drink, I could do it. I lived for nearly 2 years in a Muslim house and frequently stay with Muslim friends in Jordan who do not allow alcohol in their house, I accept that as it is their choice.

10. I really like drinking but don't during term time because it stops me sleeping and as a chronic insomniac I really don't need it. I enjoy drinking a few glasses with friends perhaps two or three times a year and this only in the holidays. I can take it or leave it. Chocolate or tea would be very difficult though.

11. MOst of us seem to be saying we can take it or leave it or don't bother at all. Maybe it is one of those questions that you don't answer if you feel that you have a problem with it?

12. Or maybe the vast majority don't have a problem.

13. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

I too could take it or leave it and very often choose to drive on a night out for convenience in getting home! I don't NEED to be drunk to have a good time. However, I DO like alcohol, especially when I've just had one or two and it makes me feel relaxed! I cannot drink a lot as it tends to make me very ill so I avoid it where possible. I DID overdo it a couple of weeks ago on a Hen Do and as soon as I reached the point where I was struggling to focus I deeply regretted it and lost a whole day the next day getting over it!! I will often partake of just one drink though. Whilst the football has been on I have been enjoying a beer whilst watching the matches. I enjoy a glass of wine occasionally and I absolutely LOVE vodka and tonic and will often have one (usually quite large!!) if I'm at home on a weekend. I guess my drinking habits are "little and often". If I was told I couldn't ever drink alcohol again I would miss it most at Christmas, where I enjoy the festiveness of a sherry, port and lemon, mulled wine and Snowballs! Not all at the same time though!! lol

14. i do like a glass of wine, and i would be sad if i couldn't drink any more
    oh - but if someone could produce a de-acoholised wine that tasted like the real thing so i could down glass after glass - now that would be bliss
    victoria p - miss post has anaphlactic reactions to nuts, so i have to forego them as well - the first christmas, i did have a little sob in m&s at their lovely, shiny displays of all the nuts i wasn't going to be able to eat
    hmm - come to think of it, i'm over that now, so i guess i'd get over the wine the same

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I love a drink. Beer, wine, good malt whisky and gin being my preferred tipples. I don't drink every night and in fact most weeks I don't drink during the week at all but I couldn't imagine going a whole weekend without a couple of beers or a few glasses of wine at the very least. Sunday without a gin before dinner and a glass or two of red wine with, is unthinkable.
    I'm sure some would say this means I am dependent and have a problem. Perhaps I have. Couldn't give a bugger, really.
    Likewise I couldn't give a bugger if someone chooses not to drink. Why would I?

16. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

I rarely drink, I'm not teetotal and if I want a drink I have one, it's just that I don't often fancy alcohol. My boyfriend tends to get a bit argumentative when drunk but claims that the reason behind these arguments are my sobriety,apparently the arguments wouldn't happen if I relaxed and had a few drinks!

17. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

OP, I could have written your opening post. I'm close to my siblings but I just KNOW they think of me as the boring, sensible one because I don't drink much. In a family where addictions run fairly high, I'm quite happy to be out of it!
    It just holds SUCH importance in some people's lives. I don't understand it really and don't even like the taste very much.
    That said, we all have our vices. I don't smoke, don't drink much but LOVE food, especially all the wrong ones. It's for this reason that I always have trouble with my weight ... unlike my alcohol loving family members!

18. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

About a year and a half ago, I stopped drinking alcohol because of some medical treatment I was having,
    Since then I have gone more and more off the idea of drinking it. The thought makes me feel sick, especially red wine.
    The last time that happened to me was when I was about 20 and I totally went off tea. I can't stand the smell and I couldn't bear to drink it.
    I'm keeping my finger crossed that I go off chocolate next.

19. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

My first thought was what a waste not being able to enjoy my single malt collection if I was forever barred from the booze.
    [​IMG]
    I like beer, beer good, beer foamy. Being half ******, is so relaxing. everything looks fuzzy. Sometimes I take a pastis first thing with an espresso to perk up me prandials. Luxury.
    That said, I generally struggle to get round to my allotted 21 units a week, but I try.
    [​IMG]

20. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Yeah...what they said!