1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alcohol intolerance?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by EBC, Aug 21, 2019.

1. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Scotland used to use quarter gill measures long ago when my cousin had his pub. Is that not equivalent to the 35 ml measures used now? They didn’t reduce the size of a nip after metrication, did they?

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My apologies.

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I meant no offence.

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It might be my memory at fault.

5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I have always had the symptoms you describe, @mothorchid. When I was younger, I manfully tried to 'sink my pint' with the best of them but within a quarter of an hour, my face went red, i felt hot and sweaty, and then I threw up! When I have tried even a sip of an alcoholic drink subsequently i found that nothing had changed. This came up when I was having a medical check and I was told that my symptoms sounded like 'Asian Red Face'. How this got into my genome i do not know. Neither my parents had any trouble with drinking alcohol, as my father liked his pint, and my mother was an inveterate sherry tippler.

https://www.healthxchange.sg/food-nutrition/food-tips/asian-flush-alcohol-red-face

BertieBassett2 and emerald52 like this.
  6. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Not necessarily. I don’t drink whisky, so I don’t know from personal experience but I’ve just looked up Wikipedia and it would seem to depend on what Scottish pub(s) you visited.

“In Great Britain, the standard single measure of spirits in a pub was 1⁄6 gill (23.7 ml) in England, and 1⁄5 gill (28.4 ml) in Scotland, while the 1⁄4 gill (35.5 ml) was also a common measure in Scotland, and still remains as the standard measure in pubs in Ireland.​

“After metrication, this was replaced by measures of either 25 or 35 millilitres (0.176 or 0.246 gi), at the discretion of the proprietor.”​

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Thank you for that. Maleficent doesn't have quite as much reason to put me in a home as she might think.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Those damned paired somatic chromosomes, eh?

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  9. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

You took the words right out of my mouth.

racroesus likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I really am alcohol intolerant- I don't have sufficient of the enzyme that breaks alcohol down in the body. I think I always knew I had a problem with drinking alcohol but it was confirmed in 1997.

I haven't had an alcoholic drink since then.

racroesus likes this.