1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alcohol intolerance?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by EBC, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I get that kind of thing after red wine, maybe because it's usually stronger than anything else I drink so I may be unwittingly consuming a bit more alcohol than I normally would. If I have more than one glass I get the symptoms you describe, but I've never had the same thing after a beer or any other kind of longer drink.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Alcohol is known to disturb sleep patterns. If you see a doctor about insomnia, they almost always ask about alcohol consumption if you complain of waking early in the morning.

If you have anxiety, or similar, and find this affects sleep already, then alcohol will make it worse.

I do drink, despite the disturbed sleep it causes, but far less than I used to. Wine is always diluted with soda water, in the kind of proportions I would make a cordial type drink. Whisky is always a single.

No test needed...I know the effects of drinking so take responsibility for whether or not I drink and how much.

EBC and nizebaby like this.
  3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Genes may be a factor. Many of the Chinese population do not have a modified gene that allows them to create the enzymes that help prevent alcohol poisoning. Thus Chinese people have to avoid the sort of drinking many in the UK would regard normal at all costs. Have you had a DNA analysis for your ethnic origins? I keep waiting till Ancestry bring it down to £40 and no postal charges.

4. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

@mothorchid might be worth trying low sulphite drinks, that could explain getting away with it occasionally

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

don't bother with these, they don't tell you anything, they re just getting YOU to pay THEM for the privileged of being allowed full access to all your DNA information to do whatever they want with.

The "analysis" tells you nothing- its a con

6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Alcohol is a drug. For many people, many of the effects are negative. I don't drink because the effects on me are negative. I don't have any form of allergy or intolerance. It just affects me badly

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Alcohol is dehydrating. Drink a pint of water before bed and a glass of water every time that you wake up to go to the toilet in the night.

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Doctors are always doubtful of the just the one glass and a couple at weekends and maybe a cocktail or two report.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

What volume is in the glass? 125 ml, 150 ml, 175 ml or 250 ml?

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

25 ml or 35 ml? Apparently Scotland do 35 ml now although I'm sure I remember when they were between English and Irish measures.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

25ml here...we even measure it!

racroesus likes this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I drink whisk(e)y in single measures, here, because it is slightly less alcoholic than a pint of bear but 25 ml wouldn't be enough and 50 ml would take me along too quickly.

13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've always been a cheap drunk but it's definitely getting worse as I get older. I've barely sipped an inch and I feel drunk. On Friday night I open a bottle of wine and drink at least half of it. I fall asleep fine but at 2.30 I wake up boiling hot with a racing heart and dodgy guts. I don't think I'm intolerant or anything - I just think it's the effect it has on my crumbling body. If it bothered me that much I suppose I'd dump Friday Wine, but it is a habit of many years' standing.

nizebaby likes this.
  14. caterpillartobutterfly

We only have measures for 25ml and 50ml, so it's one or the other...
    Or just finish off the bottle! (We are both too old and too cost conscious to do this though!)

racroesus likes this.
  15. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Good question.

GiantWineGlass.jpg

16. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Thank you for the responses. I think it bought about some interesting points. As always, you are a great bunch!

17. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Where can I get a pint of "bear"?

18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Lots of east and south-east asiams react badly to red wine. My sister-in-law and numerous other friemds from the regiom and avoid it like the plague.

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

At the North Polar.