1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alcohol intolerance?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by EBC, Aug 21, 2019.

1. EBC

EBC New commenter

Perhaps I should post this on health and well being, but I'm sure you lovely people might have an idea.

Could I have an alcohol intolerance? I'm not a big drinker, maybe one class of wine in the week, maybe one or two glasses at home on the weekend. But, what I have noticed is that if I have 2 glasses of wine, or more, not mixing with anything else, I never sleep that night. Sweating, ache in tummy, tossing and turning. These effects also happen on a night out with friends, having wine and maybe a cocktail or two.

Im just asking if there is an intolerance and perhaps I should look into it?

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I’ve always been unable to drink much alcohol. I limit myself to only drinking a single glass of really good wines. It is very common.

EBC likes this.
  3. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

What you’re describing is very common, alcohol disrupts your sleep cycle. It may also be causing indigestion which will compound the problem and further disrupt your sleep. Both of those things will cause sweating and agitation.

Some people inherently have an intolerance of alcohol due to absence of the enzymes necessary to metabolise it, but that doesn’t sound the case with you.

I like a glass of wine, but know similar will happen if I drink it, beer or cider seem safer - less irritatant to stomach perhaps, but still have the same effect on sleep cycling.

caress likes this.
  4. EBC

EBC New commenter

Thank you. I didn't think it was an intolerance, just that I've never heard any one else say it so I thought it might he rare. It does bother me though.

5. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

Indigestion prevention might help to mitigate the effect, certainly for me it’s that that makes the difference between wine and beer

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I have an over sensitive bladder and I have found that I cannot tolerate alcohol in any form these days. Red wine in particular is a non starter. I have meds but take them reactively if necessary as I don’t want to become dependent on them....I was never a big drinker but enjoyed the odd G and T / quality red and now it’s just not worth trying because of how it makes me feel. Do I miss it ? No, not really. Important to listen to your body I think ?

caress and towncryer like this.
  7. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

As I have got older I find my tolerance to alcohol has become lower with each passing year. I hardly ever drink it at all now and on the few occasions that I do I neither enjoy it nor feel any benefit from it.
    There's lots of lovely non alcohol drinks available and,personally I just love a glass of sparkling water.
    As Minnie me says...listen to your body.

caress and minnie me like this.
  8. EBC

EBC New commenter

Thank you. Its funny, I used to think I wasn't sleeping well because my little one was at Granny's for the night which = night off = a few glasses.

Now, she's still with me, but it's something I'm realising is a connection. I am getting older ah...

9. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

I never sleep well after two glasses of wine. I either start and therefore finish early, which is easier on a summer afternoon, don’t bother and take the car, have the drink and accept the lack of sleep. My drinking decisions are always based on whether I can forgo the sleep. Unfortunately I really like a glass of wine. Just another thing to add to the list of stuff that happens as you get older.

EBC likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My aunt is allergic to alcohol.

11. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I don't drink because I can't tolerate it.

caress likes this.
  12. EBC

EBC New commenter

I was a bit stressed out this morning and am a little relieved to hear these stories. I guess it doesn't help anxiety issues either! I might have to decide whether that lovely malbec is worth it.

13. EBC

EBC New commenter

So hold on.... After a few more stories, it could be an intolerance? Can one have it tested?

14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Why bother. You appear to have answered your own question. Why burden our over-burdened NHS. Just don't drink it. *simples.

15. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

I can’t tolerate alcohol like I used to and any more than one glass of wine disrupts both my bladder and sleep so to me it’s not worth it.

minnie me likes this.
  16. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

As a student I could drink quite happily (!) although lack of funding meant I didn't drink huge amounts. Since the age of about 25, I have become alllergic/intolerant of alcohol. If I drink as much as a quarter of a glass of wine, or a gulp of beer, or a slurp of spirits, I become very flushed, racing heart rate and get a very swift "through put" which involves spending time in the loo. Also, often followed by migraine.
    So I don't drink alcohol. Very occasionally in the last few years, I have managed a half glass of prosecco without the complications, and this is a pleasure - but a rare one.
    I sort of hope I may grow out of it, but after 30+ years it is a thin hope.:( I don't want to be a heavy drinker, just to have the odd glass of cold beer with a curry, or a nice glass of red with Sunday lunch.

minnie me, caress and knitone like this.
  17. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

As ivor said, it'd be a waste of time. Better to use the old-fashioned phrase 'It doesn't agree with me'. Do we need to medicalise everything?

18. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Alcohol sets my asthma off so I have to take my inhaler with me when I go out.

19. caress

caress New commenter

Its called "boozer's false dawn" where if you overindulge or have an intolerance to alcohol you'll have a very disturbed sleep & usually wake up early. I am hopeless with alcohol; even small amounts turn me into a person I don't like so I gave it up, fortunate too because the heavy-duty medication I'm on for various chronic illness would scupper me big time if I drank on it! I gave up three years ago and around the same time met a lovely man who is teetotal by choice and who hates pubs, so we're an ideal match. Our first date he kept saying "You can have a drink, I won't mind, really!" and I was delighted to tell him I didn't drink.

20. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

My husband is in a wine club and enjoys reading and selecting wine ( always red ). At first he found it hard to accept that I would not be joining him in a glass from time to time but realising how miserable the effect makes me he is far more understanding now. I suppose a change to his routine as much as mine ? The pluses - saving money ( on regular ‘cases ‘ and losing weight .. I think you forget how many calories in the stuff - especially in the alcohol which is significantly sugary ). Still to those who can and do enjoy a ‘bevy ‘ - cheers !

Startedin82 likes this.