1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alcohol and Drug education

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by pimpmywimp, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Hi all
    In Spetember I am hoping to launch an new initiative aimed at improving young people's knowledge about drug and alcohol misuse.
    Basically I am working along side an ex-proffesional footballer who suffered from Alcoholism throughout his playing career and is now desperate to help educate young people on the ills of addiction.
    From September he will be visiting schools to talk to young people about his first hand experiences battling the booze. He has an incredible ability to build up a rapport with young people who tend to react very positively to his role model status.
    Anyway I was hoping for some thoughts on this - what do you think is well done with regards drug and alcohol education? What could be improved and do we need to cover anything in particular?
    If anyone is interested in taking part in the programme, which is called - 'Life's a game of chances' then email me at sjrichards06@hotmail.co.uk

Also as we are trying to find funding to get into schools we need a bit of needs analysis so if you have a second could you complete the survey here: (there's 2 pages)
    www.surveymonkey.com/s/YMBQWLK
    Many many thanks

Simon

2. Youthhealthtalk

Youthhealthtalk New commenter

Dear Simon,
    I'm not a PSHE teacher, but I love the sound of your project and wonder if there's a way we can work with you. To explain about us (copy and pasted from my profile for ease - sorry)
    Youthhealthtalk.org is a website dedicated to young people's experiences
    of life and health issues. Visit youthhealthtalk.org to see video clips
    from interviews with young people talking about their real experiences
    of drugs &
    alcohol, depression, sexual health and relationships,and a range of health conditons. All interviews are conducted by Oxford University Researchers using
    rigorous research methods the website is published by The DIPEx Charity.

We aim to enable young people (aged 12-26) to learn from the experiences
    of their peers and to enable those who support young people, such as
    family, teachers and health professionals, to better understand young
    people.

We are really keen to get our clips of young people talking about experiences of drugs and alcohol out there to young people by working with schools. Trouble is, we don't have the expertise to talk about drugs so our thinking is to provide the clips to those who do. Do you think you'd be interested in throwing some young people's experiences into the talk?
    The videos are all on here: http://www.youthhealthtalk.org/young_people_drugs_and_alcohol/
    Please get in touch with me if you are interested.
    All the best,
    Jo